Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 7 years ago

Outlet and light switch issues.?

Well, there are two light switches that don't work and two outlets.

Bedroom light switch was working fine but needed a replacement so I replaced it. I used a tester, "Volt Snooper" Non-Contact Voltage Detector, and it tells me that there is power at the bulb. I have replaced two bulbs but none of them is working. I also replaced the switches but still no differences.

Also bathroom light doesn't work either.

Bedroom and bathroom light should be connected and should also be linked to a GFCI outlet as well.

Bathroom has a GFCI and with the tester it seems like there is no power at all. The tester is non physical and it can tell at least if there is power coming from the wires, but there is no power coming at all to the outlet. Also another plug on the other side of the wall, seems to not have power at all.

I have toggled circuit breaker several times but there is no change in the outlet/switches condition.

I did some work around the house by putting some cover and completely removing some outlets. They were not grounded. I also put a few light fixtures but these work.

I have pressed GFCI Test/Reset multiple times but there are no changes. Even if GFCI needs replacement , why would the voltage sensor not detect any power coming to the outlet at all?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't depend on those power testers, set them a side.

Your GFCI is divided into two parts, first is the Input, then the Output, you will need to make sure that the input is getting both the cold and hot wires working, if not then check your breakers and check the neutral connection or neutral wire for loose. Now if the GFCI Input is getting power then check the Output, if there is no power at the Output then your GFCI is bad and it is not allowing power to draw to your lights and receptacles.

GFCI will disable power on a section of your home if it is interrupted or if it is bad.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

First of all:

Non contact home use voltage testeers often give false readings - show power when there is no power if there is a power source near the line you are testing.

In the bedroom, when you replaced the switch, you likely did not connect it properly

AND/OR

when you removed some outlets, one or more of them may have been in the circuit(s) that supply the circuits that test - no power.

Hire a reputable electrician to check and correct the work you did,

Read the following:

==============================================

Selecting contractors:

1/ Look up local contractors first. work out from the closest to your location. If someone you trust has had work done

similar to yours, ask them about the contractor they used. If they were completely satisfied with their

contractor(s), ask for their telephone number.

2/ Select at least 5 your are interested

3/ Do a google/yahoo search on each of the contractors you are interested in; look for praises (check who is writing the praises to see if they have any connection to

the contractor <scam artists and coffident persons often work in groups> google/yahoo search the people giving the praise or references)

4/ When you are satisfied with at least 3 contractors per job, have them give you written estimates with details of work

to be done, terms, guarantee(s), cost of extras (how much do they charge if they find something not covered by the contract), paymant schedules if necessary and

whatever else you can think of to protect yourself.

5/ If the contractor tries to pressure you into signing the contract immediately with a high deposit (more than 15% - deposits over 10% normally are not paid untill material is delivered and left at your site) reject that contractor. Be careful, high pressure can be someone who sounds very convincing, but has

many reasons why you should sign on the dotted line NOW.

6/ It is always good to have another adult with you when a contractor inspects the work to be done.

7/ If you do not get at least 3 written estimates signed by the contractor - not you (do not sign yet) , go back to 1. repeat until you get written estimates signed by the contractor - not you (do not sign yet).

Read the estimates over with some who has some knowledge of the work that has to be done.

This may take longer than you thought; do not rush into it. Research, resaerch research, helps.

When you are ready choose by being informed.

Good Luck

Source(s): 40 plus years certified electrician.
  • 7 years ago

I would question the non-contact voltage indicitor as well as the breaker (probably the breaker). You have a lot of things going wrong which would lead me to believe it was a breaker. Take out another one of your same-size breakers and snap it in where the one is now that controls subject areas. That should tell you something.

• 7 years ago

the outlets may have gone bad and need replacing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.