?
Lv 5
? asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 8 years ago

Why did I get a violation?

I never use slang / vulgar words every time I answering questions, but why do I often received a violation?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Rev
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

We can't say for sure not knowing what exactly you posted, but violations generally occur when other users believe you have broken the rules and reported you for it. And there are a lot more rules besides not being vulgar.

Violations are infractions of Yahoo! Answers Community Guidelines, Yahoo! Community Guidelines, or Yahoo! Terms of Service. Reporting is over 94% accurate according to Yahoo!, so while there is a small chance you might win an appeal on some violations, the odds are you actually broke the rules somehow.

It can be a bit complicated for users here because there are quite a few rules which can be broken. For example as far as a question being in violation goes, one could get a violation not only for being directly offensive (which could include ranting or insulting or belligerent language), other rules include that the question asked should be seeking advice or knowledge generally useful or knowledge-worthy to others. It should not be asked for the purpose of getting somebody to do something for you, like go to your website. It should be clearly asked, and in the form of a question. It should be kept appropriate for children as young as 13. It should not be asked repeatedly in a short amount of time.

The most common violations are chatting and misuse of the question-and-answer format. Basically this means that a question should be asking for useful advice or knowledge and that an answer should be trying to provide useful advice or knowledge. And when you post a question, it must be written in the form of a question. When you post an answer, it must attempt to answer the question being asked.

If you didn't do something really obviously wrong then your violation was probably minor. If you were to keep getting a lot of them you could find your Answers account suspended or if you are in big trouble even your entire Yahoo! account could be suspended (and "suspended" really means that account is permanently banned).

If you ever want to know why a particular post might be a violation, you can always ask a question why in this category. Include the entire text of your post (but not usernames or links to questions) and usually you will get a good answer.

• RAY G
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

A quick glance at your profile shows that you generally answer questions in controversial religious areas, where you often get fanatics reporting just because they don't like the answer.

However, it's not strictly true that you never use slang / vulgar words: for example, "all you say is crap" - even if true - is a violation for insulting the asker.

• Alex
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

If someone complains about your post, you will most likely recieve a violation.

That's not to say that you are a bad person or your answer was bad, but there was something in it someone else didn't like.

The balance of probabilities is weighed heavily in favour of the complainant for good reason and getting all antsy about it won't help (and may eventually get you barred).

Just move on.

I had a violation for a post in fashion where I agreed with another contributer and put some links in to find the jacket she was looking for. Go figure.

• 8 years ago

Without complete context impossible to know for sure.There are many other reasons besides profanity for violations an example, one of your previous questions, what is my ethnicity was a chat violation. read on.Sometimes a post may seem very innocuous but can still be a violation.This may help you in the future. Here are a few very common violations .

Solicitation:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN...

Chat:

Questions must be of interest to the community, not solely of personal interest and must be advice-seeking and /or knowledge-worthy.

Question and Answer format

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Join the club ! It seems you don't have to do or say anything much to get a Royal violation from the bozos that run this site. Ooops, I feel another one coming soon !!

• WC
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Probably nothing, some people love to stick it to others for no reason at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.