What does "mean" mean?

Does mean really mean something like really, I'm meaning like in a Question if you know what I mean. I mean seriously like someone answer this, my question means something you know what I mean?

Favorite Answer

a. To be used to convey; denote: "'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things

b. To act as a symbol of; signify or represent: In this poem, the budding flower means youth.

2. To intend to convey or indicate: "No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous" (Henry Adams).

3. To have as a purpose or an intention; intend: I meant to go running this morning, but I overslept.

4. To design, intend, or destine for a certain purpose or end: a building that was meant for storage; a student who was meant to be a scientist.

5. To have as a consequence; bring about: Friction means heat.

6. To have the importance or value of: The opinions of the critics meant nothing to him. She meant so much to me.

When use as a Adj:

1.

a. Selfish in a petty way; unkind.

b. Cruel, spiteful, or malicious.

2. Ignoble; base: a mean motive.

3. Miserly; stingy.

4.

a. Low in quality or grade; inferior.

b. Low in value or amount; paltry: paid no mean amount for the new shoes.

5. Common or poor in appearance; shabby: "The rowhouses had been darkened by the rain and looked meaner and grimmer than ever" (Anne Tyler).

6. Low in social status; of humble origins.

7. Humiliated or ashamed.

8. In poor physical condition; sick or debilitated.

9. Extremely unpleasant or disagreeable: The meanest storm in years.

10. Informal Ill-tempered.

11. Slang

a. Hard to cope with; difficult or troublesome: He throws a mean fast ball.

b. Excellent; skillful: She plays a mean game of bridge.

Every word can be used so long in the right context.

you first question was a double question so to start with that. meaning is usually asked at the start of a question.?

I.e does 'mean' really mean something, like...( so your asking a question and trying to understand if they actually do?

funny

I have no idea what these buffalo are talking about. Everyone knows "mean" is a synonym for the arithmetic average of a set of values.

Can also mean stingy or the average value in a statistical sense or just mean mean.

I have nothing anybody ever has by - I do it, then I do.....I know about that, but then I didn't know. I like reading books on cheeze.

• Mean can be used to refer to something or imply something

In Math, it is the Average.

So what do you actually mean?

In this context 'mean' refers to what you are getting at or talking about.

Another way of saying this is, 'do you understand what I am saying?'

If you say someone is 'mean' it refers to his/her habits of minimising, i think.