What does "mean" mean?

Does mean really mean something like really, I'm meaning like in a Question if you know what I mean. I mean seriously like someone answer this, my question means something you know what I mean?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

a. To be used to convey; denote: "'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things

b. To act as a symbol of; signify or represent: In this poem, the budding flower means youth.

2. To intend to convey or indicate: "No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous" (Henry Adams).

3. To have as a purpose or an intention; intend: I meant to go running this morning, but I overslept.

4. To design, intend, or destine for a certain purpose or end: a building that was meant for storage; a student who was meant to be a scientist.

5. To have as a consequence; bring about: Friction means heat.

6. To have the importance or value of: The opinions of the critics meant nothing to him. She meant so much to me.

When use as a Adj:

a. Selfish in a petty way; unkind.

b. Cruel, spiteful, or malicious.

2. Ignoble; base: a mean motive.

3. Miserly; stingy.

a. Low in quality or grade; inferior.

b. Low in value or amount; paltry: paid no mean amount for the new shoes.

5. Common or poor in appearance; shabby: "The rowhouses had been darkened by the rain and looked meaner and grimmer than ever" (Anne Tyler).

6. Low in social status; of humble origins.

7. Humiliated or ashamed.

8. In poor physical condition; sick or debilitated.

9. Extremely unpleasant or disagreeable: The meanest storm in years.

10. Informal Ill-tempered.

11. Slang

a. Hard to cope with; difficult or troublesome: He throws a mean fast ball.

b. Excellent; skillful: She plays a mean game of bridge.

• 7 years ago

Every word can be used so long in the right context.

you first question was a double question so to start with that. meaning is usually asked at the start of a question.?

I.e does 'mean' really mean something, like...( so your asking a question and trying to understand if they actually do?

• 3 years ago

funny

• 7 years ago

I have no idea what these buffalo are talking about. Everyone knows "mean" is a synonym for the arithmetic average of a set of values.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Can also mean stingy or the average value in a statistical sense or just mean mean.

• 4 years ago

I have nothing anybody ever has by - I do it, then I do.....I know about that, but then I didn't know. I like reading books on cheeze.

• Mean can be used to refer to something or imply something

• 7 years ago

In Math, it is the Average.

So what do you actually mean?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

In this context 'mean' refers to what you are getting at or talking about.

Another way of saying this is, 'do you understand what I am saying?'

• 7 years ago

If you say someone is 'mean' it refers to his/her habits of minimising, i think.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.