My son is 3yrs old and still not talking?

My son is 3yrs old and only communicates through pointing and gesturing. He understands everything you tell or ask him to do but he is unable to say anything other than mom and dad.

What could possibly be the problem and what can we do?

Favorite Answer

I stole this from a question 6 years old:

Language development actually begins very early. Around 4-6 months babies will often begin to "babble" usually one syllable sounds often with the d, m, and b sound. 7-12 months you will hear multiple syllable sounds with repeated syllables so often babies will say things like mama or babababa or dada. Occassionally sounds come out of a baby's mouth that you swear are words. Around 12-15 months baby's will begin to be intentional in their words and say baba when they see their bottle or recognize mama and dada. All children develop speech at different ages and these are basic guidelines. Some babies speak earlier and some much later.

Source(s):

Mom for 27 years to 4 and licensed child care provider for 20 years.

She says "much later" so it may be nothing at all but at 3 years of age I'd talk to your pediatrician.

Well since he says mom and dad you can rule out him being mute. Have you had him evaluated by a doctor? There are forms of autism that can impede a child's ability to speak and hold a conversation. Only a doctor will be able to really tell you what's wrong, but do look into the autism to see if there are any other characteristics about your child that resemble it

• Ellen

Anyone who has any fears about the way their child is developing can get free services from the birth23 program. Google birth23 for the office nearest you and arrange for your child to be evaluated and treated.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mothers' group leader 20+ years mom to 3

I would definitely talk to his pediatrician about it and see if he needs to have his ears checked. My brother had speech issues when he was a toddler and my mom had his ears checked and found out it had something to do with his hearing.

I heard children with autism are like that.

definitely talk to a pediatrician tho

Maybe he's mute.