Is America's future New York ?

Where having toy guns can get you a $ 30,000 fine .

• LJ
    Favorite Answer

I live in NYC.

It is not illegal to own a toy gun here. The prohibition is on SELLING a CERTAIN TYPE of toy gun - ones that looks real and could be mistaken for real.

This stemmed from something that happened in the neighborhood next to mine. Police officers went up on the roof of a housing project (the Gowanus Houses in Brooklyn) looking for a suspect in a robbery. There was a 12 year old boy on the roof (the roofs of many buildings in NYC are shared space for the people who live there.) The child had a very realistic toy gun. The cops thought it was real and mistakenly shot and killed him.

Perhaps if people know the real facts about this law (not just the foolish Internet hype) they will understand where we, the citizens of NYC, stand in all of this.

I am in favor of this law. A few years ago there were ads run by the NYPD that were posted in the subways showing two guns - one real and one a toy. The ad asked if you could tell the difference. In small print it revealed the answer. I couldn't tell the difference in any of those ads. I brought a class of 4th graders on the subway on a school trip. We saw one of those ads. None of the kids OR their adult chaperones could tell the difference.

It's easy to make a law sound silly. This law actually has good sound reasoning behind it.

EDIT:

I just found the NY Times article that was written after the child was killed by police. I had a few very minor details wrong.

The boy was 13, not 12.

The police were just on a regular patrol, not chasing a suspect.

And there was another, similar case in Brooklyn not too long before this incident.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/29/nyregion/police-...

You'll notice how long ago this happened? The law is also old news. It stems from way before Bloomberg was mayor.

The NYC council voted on it in 1999. Here's a link to that story:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/14/nyregion/panel-b...

• saggi

And what if that were a person carrying a toy gun in the street, I can imagine. This is why NYC is the last place I would visit if I should ever travel to America. If i had a future in America, I would definetly choose it anywhere between KC and SL, MO.

No, NY has always been a anti gun State. Nearly no one ever could get a pistol permit. They have to live in the wilderness to get a target pistol permit and even then, they can't walk around with it loaded or out of a case. Never wear it anywhere etc.. They are only allowed to use it at target ranges. Therefore, it's not unusual for NY

I was born and raised in NYC although I now live just north of the city.

NYC and New York state have a lot of good qualities...but it's political orientation

sucks....In fact, if it weren't for the tax revenues generated by Wall Street,

NYC might look like Detroit...;-)