Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 years ago

Why does eating turkey make you tired?

Every time I eat turkey I'm tired after this why?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • RoyS
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I just watched this myth get busted on Mythbusters last week:

"Eating turkey makes you sleepy because it contains tryptophan.

BUSTED

Kari used a Whack-a-Mole game to test the response times of Tory and Grant. In their initial control test while fully alert, Tory scored 61 points and Grant scored 66 points. After taking tryptophan in capsule form, Troy scored 49 and Grant scored 60, indicating that tryptophan can make you tired.

To find out if eating turkey makes you tired, a professor of nutrition helped Kari create 3 meals for Grant and Tory to eat on 3 consecutive days. The first meal was a very large holiday meal with turkey and trimmings. Tory’s meal was 2,420 calories and Grant’s was 2,200 calories. After this meal Tory scored 47 points on the response test and Grant scored 52 points. On the second day, after a meal with the same number of calories but with protein powder in place of the turkey, Tory scored 48 points and Grant scored 42 points. On the third day, the two men ate a normally-sized meal that included turkey. Tory scored 63 points and Grant scored 67 points, both beating their control test. These results indicated that eating an excessive amount of calories in a holiday meal is what makes you tired, not the turkey."

http://mythbustersresults.com/

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

there is a chemical in turkey that makes a part of your brain tired. but the truth is that there isnt nearly enough of this chemical in turkey to make you tired, its a myth that you get tired after eating turkey.

• K M T
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Eating large quantities of any food can make you sleepy because the body is trying to process what you have ingested.

• 8 years ago

Turkey contains tryptophan, which has a somnolent effect. It makes you sleepy. Many foods have a little, but turkey has enough that we notice it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

probably because it's low in carbs

• 8 years ago

its has lots of fat and its low in carb!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.