Using Florida Unemployment Benefits and moved to another state...?

I used to live in Florida and have been receiving FL unemployment compensation for some time now. I now moved to Maryland and have residence and MD driver's license, and relinquished my FL license, so can I apply for compensation under MD, or do I have to continue with FL and just let them know my new address ( which means I get less money per week with FL and no longer resident)?

Does anyone know max benefits for MD unemployment for 2012 if I were able to switch?

Thank you for any help guys.


Hi Vinegar,

That's what makes most sense to me you know of the correct procedures to switch everything since I'm now in MD and do you have any direct links for me to verify?

Update 2:


3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Not sure about Florida specifically, but in general if you are unemployed from a job do to a non-cause issue, your are entitled to the benefit from that state (i.e. Florida). When you were employed you last paid into that states fund, so you are entitled to the money regardless or which state you reside, as long as you are looking for work.

    States generally don't share employment records, so MD won't know anything about you or where you last worked.

  • 8 years ago

    You can only receive unemployment benefits if you're available to work in the state you're receiving the benefits from. Isn't that the purpose of the benefits ?

    Anything else can be fraud, a felony.

  • 8 years ago

    You continue to receive unemployment from Florida because that is where you earned the covered wages. Florida will continue to send you a check as long as you are entitled to it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.