What is wrong is being happy with sensory pleasures?

Afterall life is unpredicatble. There may or may not be tomorrow ! So why not eat and drink things of your choice. See beautiful things. Listen to music. Have sex without any inhibitions. At the end of the day be very happy.

As against many tend to pursure philosophical thinking and sprituality and try to seek happiness.

Which approach is better and correct ? Why ?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • small
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sensory pleasures can be enjoyed as and when available provided one doesn't get attached to them or their source.... it is this attachment which keeps asking for more and more endlessly and the happiness quotient also keeps dwindling as we indulge more and more. These pleasures are temporary and they really give us no lasting longer term benefit, as opposed to intellectual or spiritual happiness, both of which are superior as one benefits for the longer term. Moreover, sensory pleasures don't really satisfy our inner heart unless there is an emotional quotient attached to it (this is the special feature of us humans)..... and when emotional quotient is present, it can never be one-way street.... it would always be a mixture of pleasure and pain and more of the latter because we have a tendency to take pleasure for granted but carry the pains long in our memory.

The philosophy of living for the moment since life anyway is short and uncertain is not about pursuing and enjoying physical pleasures alone because as mentioned earlier those have a disadvantage of diminishing utility and limited availability like anything of economic value. Living in the present also doesn't mean not making any plans whatsoever for the future. It is about reducing worries of the future and regrets of the past and that can only be attained by following the spiritual frame of mind.

Great insightful question.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

There is nothing wrong in general and yes you are quite right you never know what's around the corner. However, if you over indulge you can become obese and ill and that's not good. So enjoy life sensory, spiritually, emotionally everything you can think of live life to the full and make sure its all in moderation and not excessively.

• 4 years ago

You assume that presently humans cannot literally experience the pain or pleasure of another. But that is not true. We ARE fully capable of empathizing with not only our fellow man, but also every other living thing we share this planet with. It gives me physical pain to see the suffering of others.. it literally makes me sick. When someone I know and love is in pain, I also feel that pain. When someone I love is joyful, I also share that joy. Most people are simply too selfish and unaware of others to practice this type of empathy. Our world can be a different place if only all people would access this side of themselves.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The question is where such a lifestyle would lead you to ? where will you end up once you take this road ? will it lead to lasting peace and happiness, if yes, then it's ok to live such a lifestyle, the whole aim, object of our existence is happiness, if these things make you happy, nothing wrong in pursuing them.

But from experiences of countless people it is clear that such a lifestyle doesnt lead to lasting peace and happiness , gautam buddha is prime example of that, buddha was a prince he could have easily lived such a lifestyle but once he acheived enlightenment , nirvana he never went back to his kingdom , never went back to become a king, buddha achieved lasting peace and happiness without aid of sex, travelling, gluttony, drinking.

If you want to learn more about pitfalls of such a lifestyle google roman emperor nero, he was a perfect example of living only for sensory pleasures and his lifestyle brought tremendous misery to people around him and to himself too ( maybe thats why he indulged in sensory pleasures in first place ). nero and his end is the reason why one should stay away from excess of sensory pleasures.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

minimum restraints:

1. still have to know our parents, siblings, friends, friends' families, honourable people, young underage people, people who want to avoid immorality (in their respective views)...

2. fine to accompany with the ones like you (I don not mean you Pinki) as the saying goes "birds of the same feather..." yet be careful to avoid diseases, etc

3. respect others' choice - don't be criticizing their lifestyles in public. meaning whatever one chooses, the society must not be affected in negative ways. that's true the world have such places for different lifestyles

4. should prostitution be legalized? yes, but if wives or husbands do not accept their partners go to these places, their decisions must be given priority because of cohesion of family lifestyle is necessary to keep a country intact, safe and productive and it also gives stability and trust among people.

5. (I'll want you think more)

forgot to answer -

we do have all six sensory pleasures - for example: for ears we have songs, for eyes we have films, for tongue we have spices, for touch we have nice cloths and for thought we have books.

we can choose what pleasures are safe and common interest.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

There is nothing wrong with what you propose. Disregard whatever preconceived notions someone places on you based on religion or faith. Happiness is real, and provable. If I may make one caution, however, consider your health. Seeing beautiful things will not compromise it and neither will listening to music that makes you happy or inspires you. But what you consume and who you share you bed with - these can have physical consequences. Consider them, not for morality, but for mortality.

• manish
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Great philosophical question.The Answer is ' Always fallow the choice of you heart.'

The balance sheet of your deeds decide what you get.

• 7 years ago

what a brill q sweet pinki

obviously its a brill idea to enjoy life, but theres a limit between enjoying it and getting addicted to things, which a lot of us end up doing

why not do both sensory and spiritual philosophy? thats what i do, seems to work for me

:-)

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Your question brings the book "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" to my mind.

• Evan
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

What you're talking about is 'hedonism' - the pursuit of pleasure and happiness.

I agree with you - we have one shot at existence (in my opinion), why not enjoy it?

Of course, my joy shouldn't cause pain to others.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.