What is the best drill to get to tighten/loosen bolts?

Let it be known I know NOTHING about drills. I want to get my dad a drill for Christmas but I have no clue what I should get. I want to get him a wireless drill that comes with or I can buy an attachment or something to tighten and loose bolts really good for horse stall clamp bolts, building bolts, etc. along with still being able to use it as a drill for metal pannels, fencing and such. Any clue on a good one I should get? If it does not come with the attachement to take care of the tightening bolts which attachment should I get (what is that attachment called by the way?)? I want a good one but I am on a budget so the best cheapest ones lol :P. I am going black friday shopping so if you know any good ones then list those as well. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

The one that drives nuts and bolts is called an impact driver. They make drill bits with the hex shaft to fit impacts, but get an impact that has a drill setting if he needs to drill as well.

I agree with the other answers, but you did want to know what was a good one to buy. Consumer Reports rates the cordless impact drills in 2013 buying guide. The best rated for the money is the Makita 6980fdwde for $220. The next best for the money is the Ryobi P2306 for $130 and 18 volts.

Source(s): Master electrician and electronics grad.

Since you have limited knowledge about this item let me suggest that you just buy one of those 18 volt cordless drill kits at one of the big home improvement stores. They are usually kits with 100+ items in them which include drill bits and nutrunners and screwdriver tips.

If I really knew what the diamters of the horse stall clamp bolts were I would probably suggest something more specific. But, heck it is the holidays and this suggestion will, or should work just fine. They run about $100 or whatever the Black Friday sales say.

Source(s): I'm a person who uses this type of stuff everyday.