My dremel rotary tool is heating up, why?

Hi I have been using my dremel tool occasionally and I used on the bathroom yesterday and it is heating up and smoking. Any advise?

I hit snags and the motor stops. Is this natural reaction and can the tool take it? In power tools when hitting an object will the motor know when to stop and continue? For example, the Ryobi power drill has knobs when adjusting for drill bits. The gears that it shifts to have retention levels will motor have same response?

Thx

why is my dremel tool heating up and does this happen to anyone else? it heats up so much I can barely hold it?

Favorite Answer

Dremel tools are designed for small detail work not heavey duty grinding/cutting. These tools are not drilling machines and as already stated, the drill is many times more powerful than the dremel tool

The Dremel tool is not a toy though.

if you are using the metal cutting/deburring bits and applying too much pressure so the dremel tool's motor slows down it will overheat. The reason the dremel tool's motor is slowing down is you are overloading the motor.

When you hit a snag as you put it and the motor stops, this is stalling and overloading the motor.

Contuous overloading the dremel tool's motor will eventually burn it out.

Read the instructions that came with the dremel tool .

If the motor slows down decrease the pressure you are placing on the work.

If it was the motor that was smoking, you likely have already damaged the dremel motor.

If the smoke was coming from the work you were using the dremel tool on, you may have taken the temper out of the cutting attachment. If this is the case, you will have to get another attachment for it to work properly

Source(s): 40 plus years certified electrician

your dremel has 2 motor brushes on both seides. on sides of dremel you will notice big screws, unscrew them and get the spring with brushes(small carbon heads) out. these carbon brushes melt in time. so once in a month you should change them. if you see that in the end of springs there are no brushes, go to store (or here http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/SubC... and buy new motor brushes,get them into dremel. see video instructions on youtube. never work without brushes or you will burn the motor.

• RedNek

You're probably holding it with your entire hand and covering the vent holes. My dremel will also get hot like this. Remember, don't use a dremel like it's a heavy duty tool, it's not. I use mine to cut exhaust systems off of cars (fast), that's the biggest job, and my dremel is over 10yo. I especially like those ezlock cut-off wheels, you've got to go 35,000 rpm but they cut FAST!

I would guess no. It stopped because you were loadind it too hard, or twisting the cutter. Comparing it to a drill is like apples and oranges. The drill has probably 6 times as much power then the Dremel. Dremel's are toys for fine work, which they do very well.

Do not force the bit. Let the Dremel cool off if it gets hot.

Industry would put the bearing in boiling oil to expand the bearing and then fit the pin .