in close proximity - no. shotgun mics are to be used to capture sound from mid-range to further away, sometimes close but then it's often for outside purposes so that background noises are less prominent because the shotgun mic is like comparing a flashlight to a lightbulb. even more sophisticated would be a parabolic microphone (which is like a laser) but for recording covers you don't need all that!
I would preferrably advise you to use an audio interface with line in options. so you can connect the piano and guitar. if they are fully acoustic with no pickups or lineout options then indeed a mic would come in more handy, but i'd still suggest to use a mic with an audio interface instead of having one thats connected to the camera.
The type of mic you'd be looking for is a omnidirectional mic. cardioid is also possible if the mic is very very close and you record only 1 source at a time but not super-cardioid or hyper-cardioid because it will affect your sound and make it sound 'smaller'. cardioid is to be used more on stage where theres a lot of background noises and crowd screaming. if u wanna record all things simultaniously then an omnidirectional or condenser mic is best, which often need external power. i dont know how much u guys have to spend, but behringer offers affordable usb condenser mics (not the best quality but it will do) , and there are afforable mics of good brands (well , to me that is affordable for the superb quality you get) of the brands AKG and Se Electronics. Then there's also Shure but I can't tell much about the quality and price ratio of their condenser mics. Neither can i of sennheiser, but both those brands have a good reputation. the way i see it sure is good at making carioid mics and sennheiser is good for heaphones :P
some models that dont need an external usb interface (usb direct to pc connection):
- cheapest: http://www.bax-shop.nl/usb-microfoon/behringer-c-1u-usb-studio-condensatormicrofoon/product-details.html#.UK0tzof8Lng
- sightly better brand, affordable but decent: http://www.bax-shop.nl/usb-microfoon/blue-snowball-brushed-aluminium-condensator-microfoon/product-details.html#.UK0t8If8Lng
- a good brand and good mic http://www.bax-shop.nl/usb-microfoon/mxl-studio-24-usb-condensator-microfoon/product-details.html#.UK0uK4f8Lng
some mics that require a usb interface with 48v phantom power supply (these are supposed to be better than usb mics):
- cheapest one i'd go for if u are absolutely short on money: http://www.bax-shop.nl/condensator-studiomicrofoon/behringer-c-3-studio-condensator-microfoon/product-details.html#.UK0ulof8Lng
- pretty OK for absolute starters: http://www.bax-shop.nl/condensator-studiomicrofoon/mxl-990-grootmembraan-condensator-microfoon/product-details.html
- cheapest mic of a premium quality brand i'd go for: http://www.bax-shop.nl/condensator-studiomicrofoon/akg-perception-120-grootmembraan-condensator-microfoon/product-details.html
- if u have the money for it and are absolutely sure you want something good, this is an A-brand as well: http://www.bax-shop.nl/condensator-studiomicrofoon/se-electronics-x1-condensator-microfoon/product-details.html#.UK0vE4f8Lnh used in the best studio's. although they have better mics of that brand.
- Rode is another option and an A-brand, very good like SE Electronics: http://www.bax-shop.nl/condensator-studiomicrofoon/rode-nt1-a-studio-microfoon-anniversary-editie/product-details.html
and lastly, these mics are used by some other top-youtube uploaders (conor maynard uses the rode nt2a)
there is also a 420 version of the AKG perception.
hope this was enough info! i wouldnt advise to go for samson or dap by the way, not really cuz i also dont know a lot of them, but the fact that i dont know what to say about these brands already should be enough to indicate how good they are lol. they are good at makins certain products but its like stagg, they try to make everything from drumsticks and musicstands to mics and electronics, but don;t excel in any of it. never in your entire life buy anything with the stagg brandname on it, i've had even expensive things from them and it just breaks. (400 bucks violin, 80 bucks guitar case with locks you could bend open with your own hands lol)
i work at the bax-shop.nl music store, copywriting and helpdesk department, the biggest online music store of the benelux (belgium, netherlands and luxembourg area) and we also have a very large physical store since last month. i myself have the AKG perception 220 by the way
· 7 years ago