Do you have any tips how to survive Thanksgiving politics?
This being a Presidential election yr. the stakes were highest. Most likely there will be red/blue friends/relatives communicating and politics might come up.
- Felonious MonkeyLv 78 years agoFavorite Answer
If the talk drifts towards politics, bring up religion.
- ClicketyClackLv 78 years ago
Rules for peace at the table:
1) Don't bring up anything political.
2) If a relative starts bragging or ranting, don't take the bait and respond in kind. Instead, change the subject. If the other person won't give it up, just say that we should agree to disagree and concentrate on what we're thankful for in our lives.
3) Don't pile on the one or two relatives who voted differently than everyone else.
4) Continue to return to the theme of the day, which is being thankful for blessings instead of bitter about desires not met.
- momLv 68 years ago
I have noticed that when my relatives who are Republican call, they don't talk politics and yell at me like they did before the election. They thought they were the majority before. If it comes up, just remind them this is the day to give thanks for the good things we have. Don't buy into the remarks and answer with a political quip. Enjoy.
- Texas MikeLv 78 years ago
Avoid the subject. Just like on Yahoo Answers .. it is a no win scenario. Always a draw. And when emotion is a part it gets worse.
So avoid the subject...or at the very least .. just be neutral.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- GogglesLv 78 years ago
- smkellerLv 78 years ago
Just ask them what is more important to them - family peace and togetherness for one day or having to express your political views at the expense of it?
- BrotherhoodLv 78 years ago
Since Repubbies are quite happy with the "Every man for himself" policy of theirs just don't invite the loud mouthed Anti-Americans.
Let them go buy their high priced meal, for themselves, at some B-rated restaurant or just sit in their local bar all day and cry over their beer because nobody wants them.
- MaxwellLv 78 years ago
Don't bring it up with your relatives.
If it comes up change the subject.
"Come on guys...it's Thanksgiving, let's talk about something else."
- JimLv 78 years ago
How is the local sports team doing?
- Anonymous8 years ago
Don't ask, don't tell!
The quieter it is the better off things will be
- Anonymous8 years ago
Don't contribute to the politics conversation...its easy as that