if you buy a refurbished macbook from apple is the casing new?

if you buy a refurbished macbook from apple do they replace the outer casing or will it be covered in scuffs from the person who had it before you?

• gusism
    Best Answer

Not necessarily. If there are lots of scuffs and scratches they may replace the panels, but you should expect to see a couple of blemishes here and there. You may get lucky and just get on open box return which is basically new. Look at their refurbished item policy to be sure. I actually purchased a refurb Iphones 3GS and it was full of small scratches on the back cover.

A couple of my friends have bought refurbished Mac notebooks here in the UK and it looks brand new but ships in plain cardboard box. I actually phoned Apple a while back and asked what they mean by 'refurbished' and I was told in most cases they are open-box items or customer returns that are then checked over by Apple technicians to make sure everything is working OK but for legal reasons Apple can't resell them as new.

If it needs replacing they will replace it...

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_cer...

More often then not they are as new have been dead on arrival. The non-functioning part (hard disc or screen etc.) is replaced and is tested to ensure everything is working as it should.