Compare John Proctor to the other characters in the Crucible?

I'm doing an essay on pride for The Crucible and this is one of the things i wanted to include in my conclusion but i cannot come up with anything to start the last paragraph with...

I also wanted some opinions on this question because i solely didn't want to rely totally on my opinion..."Decide whether or not his final act was one of excessive pride."

Thankyou!

• Leslie
    Favorite Answer

I have seen John Proctor being accused of being prideful before, but I don't think he was. If he was hampered by his pride, he never would have admitted to having an affair with Abigail. At least not to Danforth and the town. Proctor was smart enough to know that if he admitted that he could or would be arrested and the entire town would know of it and maybe the shame. I think in the end when he signed the paper and then tore it up, it wasn't pride that made him do that so much as it was really the knowledge and foresight to know he was doing the right thing. When he was shouting "It's my name" he wasn't saying it in a way like, "My name, John Proctor, is better than you" or "I'm more important than you." I think he was making the point that his name is equivalent to his life. Like he was saying, "My name, Proctor, is who I am...it's me, just like your name, Danforth, is who you are." Our names are the first gift our parents give us. Everyone on the planet is given that gift, and we keep it out entire lives. To sign something we don't believe in is like giving that gift away. Proctor didn't want to give himself away.

• orr

i think of he substitute into. confident, he cheated on his spouse. that substitute right into a huge no-no, yet easily everyone makes errors do they not? i think of he substitute into between the main honorable characters of the e book. He tried to shop his spouse, and he even admitted what he did so as to accomplish that. on the top, he didnt sign to confess to the crime because of the fact he didnt want his infants to could stay with something he didnt do. i think of he substitute into great, and intellegent...easily everyone makes errors.