Do you think William Lane Craig realizes some of his arguments are just dishonest?

I mean he has to know that for example saying "if the Universe was caused by natural processes then it would have been caused an infinite amount of time ago" is pure nonsense.

Jim V - That would be a long explanation at best tangentially related to the question. WLC does repeatedly claim that the Universe must have come into being by the choice of some being because if it didn't we'd perceive an infinitely old Universe. That's just a non-sequitur, it doesn't logically follow and he must realize it because there's no logical link between the two.

Anthony D - Never heard of Rodney Holder. Maybe I'll check out some of his arguments one day.

Favorite Answer

He should. If he's honest.

And if he's smart enough to.

• Jim V

Really?

Maybe his statement is misunderstood.

If the universe is based in natural causes then how is it possible /not/ to have an infinite chain of causation?

Every natural effect is generated by a cause (even quantum effects), so every cause has a cause.

If not, explain.

= = Response

My initial response is hardly tangential, especially since the specific "offense" was (and is) not cited. (If you are going to publicly charge someone with dishonestly you could at least be specific.)

I might agree that Craig could put forth a non-sequitur. It depends on what it is he claims would be perceived. I can think of two scientific observations that indicate the cause(s) of the universe cannot be infinitely old.

So, how about referencing something specific in Craig's work that you claim is dishonest and we will both have a look at it.

= = = Added 2:

Since there has been no response after 3 days (even though the follow-up was emailed to the questioner) I think what is clear is that the questioner wants to label Dr. Craig’s arguments as dishonest simply because he does not agree with them.

At this point we still have no specificity on what the questioner claims to be a dishonest position of Dr. Craig's.

Therefore, I think it is the questioner who is being intellectually dishonest with himself - and is attempting to sow doubt with a baseless assertion.

(4hrs to close)

I expect so.

He seems reasonably bright, and I can't see how he couldn't realise the problems with some of his arguments.

Unfortunately, like most "professional" creationists, he appears to be in it simply for the money. :(

As a Christian apologist he is not nearly as effective as he and his fan club think he is. I would much rather put somebody like Rodney Holder up on a platform in defence of Christianity.

Whether or not Lane Craig is deliberately dishonest, I don't know.

hmmm... would u look who's talking?

• nosson

No they are not you are just selectively intelligent. If every effect needs a cause then there should be an infinite regress. That’s just logical. If you didn’t get that it just means you are dumb. In your case selectively dumb.

And although it’s possible I don’t believe you that he doesn’t spell it out. I have seen his videos and he is very carful to explain fully his statements. I think you are bending the truth. please send the link and the time where he makes that statement in the video. Although I can’t watch it in China others can.

If you are going to accuse someone then back up your accusations. Otherwise I’ll call you out.