When extracting DNA from fruit, the DNA should swirl, like a helix, in solution.?

We ran the experiment in the Biology lab, and the DNA looked fragmented and broke apart in solution. We tested the different reagents in the experiment and they all checked out. The reagents were detergent, salt, water, ethanol, and filters that removed cellular debris. What went wrong?

Favorite Answer

Wow. OK, firstly, you need to give us a LOT more information if you want an answer.

What do you mean "DNA should swirl like a helix in solution"? I've extracted DNA hundreds of times, and I've never seen it "swirl". The shape of the molecule does NOT determine how it behaves on a macro level. If it's in solution, it should be invisible.

"We ran the experiment"

What experiment? How can we tell you what happened if we have no idea what you did or how you did it?

"the DNA looked fragmented and broke apart in solution. "

How did you determine this? Did you run a gel? Did you just eyeball it and decide it looked broken? How did it look?

"We tested the different reagents in the experiment and they all checked out"

How did you test them? What makes you think they "checked out"? What would you have seen differently if they didn't "check out"?

"What went wrong?"

I have no idea. What did you see that you thought was bad? What did you expect to see? Most importantly, what did you DO?

It's like asking "my car isn't working right. Can someone tell me how to fix it?" You're being WAY too vague.