Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 7 years ago

What does the idiom "take off my hands" mean?

i.e someone ending up with extra concer tickets and asking to take some off their hands? Does that mean they are offering free concert tickets?

• GeneL
    Favorite Answer

To "take it off my hands" means to relieve me of something, in this case concert tickets, that I don't want or need. It could mean either to purchase them from me, or I might be giving them away for free. My guess, in your example, is no, they're not necessarily for free, the owner just can't use them and wants to find someone who can.

Off Hand Meaning

• Bonnie

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw5uv

So far some of the answers are close to being correct The true meaning comes from 1929. A elderly gentleman was told he had lost all his money in the stock market. He went mad, lost his mind, fell off his "rocker" literally. He was never the same after the hearing the news. So being off your rocker, means losing ones mind.

Well... in my experience.. if someone wants to take something off my hands, that means they want to do it for me, as in help me.

Some people also use it in a joking way when they want to get what the person has.. like "Oh I love chocolate, let me take those off your hands.."

• Kim

no. they likely want to sell them. it is possible they mean give them away for free, it depends on context. the phrase only indicates giving something away, not whether it is for free or not.

you could say "I would love to take some off your hands! ;)" yes they are offering concert tickets

Double price!!!