Should I change careers from teaching to nursing?

I've been a special Ed teacher for two years now, I have my b.a in early childhood education and my certification in both special Ed and early childhood k-3.

I'm starting to worry that I'm burning out, mainly do to the politics and philosophy of my school.

I'm considering teach for America, grad school for social work (I know that's no pay increase) or an associates in registered nursing.

I'd love to work nights and wouldn't mind if it involved 3 12 hour shifts a week. I'd like more time to focus on hobbies and my own personal life. I love working with and helping people, just not sure if I'm making the right choice. Suggestions?

• Sarah
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like you're interested in nursing and are familiar enough with the job. I would say go for it. The financial and job security opportunities in nursing are fantastic, and that is unlikely to change anytime soon. I know there are accelerated programs at some schools that you can complete in just over a year. Before you commit to another degree and career change, though, it might be worth seeing if you can shadow a nurse at a hospital for a few hours or get some other intro into the position before making the change. You could try calling a hospital or even an adviser at a nursing school. Good luck!

as an example you change right into a nurse. perchance get many years of journey. yet you fairly want to coach. evaluate this: there's a best scarcity of nurse educators, as you'll see once you're in nursing practise. that's the proper position that you would possibly want to land. the purely question is how a lot useful journey you would in my opinion want to carry right into a nursing lecture room besides to the more desirable degree artwork in guidance/nursing required.

The accelerated programs that Sarah mentioned applies to someone with a BA degree who has taken all the pre-nursing classes. So unless you have those science classes out of the way, you may have to spend another year taking them.

And the job oppotunity that everyone talks about - it's usually for "experienced nurses" - new grad nurses around here (in a large city in CA) have about 50% chance of getting hired right out of school.

I do agree with her that you really sound like you have done enough research on this, so why not? I have known a police, a teacher who later went to nursing school. It's not impossible.

p.s. Probably best if you get BSN instead of AA in nursing.

if you love helping. then nursing is a great career to look in to