what up asked in Social ScienceSociology · 8 years ago

Area or discipline popular today that people treat as science but doesn't adhere to the definition?

I can't seem to think of anything that would be an area not considered a "science". Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

Favorite Answer

Hi What's Up,

Astrology would qualify as a popular discipline that doesn't adhere to the definition of science. While, as with all sciences, it's imperfectly executed, sociology is clearly a science and doesn't assign blame to society for social problems in an a priori fashion. Regards.

• Bobo

Of course you ask this in the sociology forum. Sociology is not a science, it is philosophy at best. There are those who will disagree with me and cite "the scientific method" as a proving point. The scientific method is nothing more than a process (research, development, test, and evaluation) that is (in the case of sociology in particular) so subjective that it is a real stretch to label it as science. In reality, sociology is the study of issues within a society under the pretext that the root cause of problems lies with society. Individuals are not to blame for lack of responsibility, laziness, bad habits, or anything else. It is a feel good philosophy for those who cannot accept reality.