Do you think they will find this ‘lost’ survivalist in Alaska?

http://www.adn.com/2012/11/17/2696373/wisconsin-su...

I’m asking hunters and survivalists here because I want your honest opinion on this. Is he gone forever like so many others that vanish in Alaska? Or do you think he will be found or turn up some place?

Right now its below zero in that area of the arctic circle and very little snow.

Would you travel up there alone?

Note that I heard from others in Alaska he was last headed north to the arctic circle area

Last question; my wife and family think I should go look for him with some of my friends; all of us are experienced Alaskan trackers and have worked with Search & Rescue many years ago. But we are all older men now (58 through 78 old) with bad knees, legs, arms, hearts etc. And there is already a large search party and frankly it would likely be a body remains recovery trip; should we try? Do you think its our duty to try? He could be nothing but scattered bones by now covered in snow or really hoping some one comes for him.

• ntg
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't risk anything to find him. I hope he is alright, but he is the one who decided to take the risks. He isn't a lost hunter or hiker. He knowingly took a risk that may cost him his life. Others shouldn't have to risk their health to look for him. It's like when thrill seekers go into the ocean during a hurricane, and then it's expected that rescuers should risk their life to go find them. No, help the innocent, but big risk takers should know they are on their own.

• chris

well unless he is also trained in self defense against griz I doubt it.

if anyone can survive someone like him could, but I'm pretty sure he and Treadwell are trading stories with Darwin right about now

Oh, they'll find him all right. Or what's left of him.

Eventually.

I'm not an Alaskan, but I've done my time in cold country and I think he was a damn fool to head out there alone. It's one thing to do it if you HAVE to, or you're Les Stroud...it's entirely another to just up and head on out.

I'm thinking he has met his demise. Sometimes stupid can be fatal.

Northwest Alaska is completely probably the furthest thing for civilization you can go. It's also the middle of winter for them which means its deadly temperature levels all day. During this time of the year there is very little sun which doesn't help his cause. I would never travel there, not even with a group of people. It's much too dangerous and he's alone to top it off. I hope they find him but he's probably as good as dead.

Source(s): Ex-Alaskan
  • Ugh

I doubt he's still alive.

And no, I would NEVER travel up there without someone