Joe asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

Getting into West point?

I am a senior in high school and unfortunetly fell short of getting accepted into West point and was wondering if I completed the Early Commissioning Program at a Junior Military College if I would have a chance of maybe being accepted to West Point and receiving a masters degree?

• Tom
    Best Answer

ECP Cadets, including those on ECP Scholarship, can apply for an appointment to West Point during each year in the ECP; however, once commissioned, at the end of sophomore year, an ECP commissioned 2nd Lieutenant obviously can no longer apply for an appointment while completing his degree at a four year college.

"CAVEAT Cadets who are on contract for our ROTC ECP Program may ONLY self prep for West Point. Contractual agreements with the US Army preclude pursuing a commission in another branch of the Service."

http://www.nmmi.edu/prep/selfprep.htm

To have a good chance of earning an appointment to West Point should follow the course of study leading to the Associate degree in Physical Sciences. An ECP Cadet who accepts an appointment in the Spring of Sophomore year will spend all four years at West Point. This means that when he earns his BS degree and commissions as a 2nd Lieutenant at West Point, he would have been promoted to Captain if he had instead continued on to a four year college and attained an active duty slot. An ECP commissioned 2nd Lieutenant is promoted to 1st Lieutenant on graduation from College. The issue is attaining an active duty slot as an ECP Lieutenant. If that is the objective and in case an appointment to West Point is not forthcoming, then it might make more sense to go the regular Rotc route at VFMAC and if VFMAC is not affordable without an ECP Scholarship then go to a less costly military junior college or college. NMMI and Georgia Military College-Milledgeville are less than half the cost of NMMI for out of state Cadets. With a financial aid package, Norwich would probably be significantly less than Valley Forge. Ask the PMS at Valley Forge, the percentage of ECP commissioned Lieutenants in recent classes that have sought and earned active duty slots for the VFMAC ECP Classes of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. The Classes of 2009 and 2010 are the most relevant to the present. Senior Military College Cadets are guaranteed active duty slots regardless of their OML scores being below the Active Duty Cut Off Line. See Slide 8:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rotc%20aces...

Ask the PMS at Valley Forge if this also applies to an ECP commissioned Lieutenant who graduates from a Senior Military College.

A definite advantage of commissioning at West Point is that it offers a better chance than Rotc of being selected for most branches.

West Point:

http://www.career-satisfaction.army.mil/wp_overvie...

Rotc:

http://www.career-satisfaction.army.mil/rotc_overv...

Good Luck!

• Jana

Contact your Congressman/woman to get a nomination to West Point! Great credentials plus dad as a military retiree is a plus! are you also a polyglot?!

If you are going to the commissioned route I think they only let you get a bachelors. Though if you really want to get in, I personally get an ako email bimonthly that says I am eligible for west point. Same with all the other medics in my platoon (You need to have a high asvab score to be a medic). But then again I am already enlisted and it is easier to get in that way. I was actually thinking applying it til i was told how much of a "hoo-ah" fest West point is.

still tough, theres nothing wrong with a non military school's ROTC program though, i know plenty of successful officers and NCOs that swear by Texas AM and Georgia Techs rotc program

West Point doesn't offer Master Degrees. For starters.

And second..you can apply for admission to USMA al the way up to age 23.

You accept a commission through the ECP and you aren't going to USMA. Defeats the purpose.