Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Is my Percy Jackson OC a Mary Sue?

Name: Lily Bellard

Mother: Demeter

Father: Phillip Bellard

Age: 14 or 15

Apperance: Straight Black hair that goes a few inches below her shoulders. Usually braided messily to the side. Big emerald green eyes. She's about 5'4 and weighs about 110 pounds. She's slim for her age and doesn't really have much of a chest, she has a few curves her and there.

Good Traits: Usually nice, smart, and funny

Bad Traits: Impaitient, impulsive, and sarcastic.

Backstory: She was discovered by Annabeth with Percy in book 3 with Bianca and Nico. She was claimed by Demeter when she got to Camp-Half Blood and I changed the story to the prophecy of 8 for her to be in the story (I know, shoot me, NOW.) Good friends with Piper and Annabeth and has a bit of a crush on Nico.

Weapon: Dagger

Powers: She can make vines wrap around her enemy, temporaily immobilizing them.

I just want to know if she's a mary-sue or not. I took a test and it said No but I'm still a little parinoid about her.

Favorite Answer

How is someone who's impatient and sarcastic "nice"?

You can't just glue on labels. Your character's characteristics have to make sense.

And, I've got to say, it's going to be _really_ difficult to pull off "canon events included my character too!" Can't you think of another way to bring her into your story, one which doesn't require people to mentally rewrite the events of the real books?

The main thing that sounds Sue-ish is changing the prophecy of the story just to fit her in. But then, it is fanfiction, so you can do as you please.