Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Amy White asked in HealthOptical · 9 years ago

Do I need reading glasses?

Hey! I'm 22 and I've been having trouble seeing close up. I can see fine but it takes a while for my eyes to focus and see clearly. I just feel like my eyes work a lot harder when they read than when I drive. I tried on my mums for an hour and my eyes didnt hurt and I didn't have to squint to see small writing.

Favorite Answer

Normally, people don't need reading glasses until they are like 40-ish, so, probably, it would be a good idea to arrange for an eye exam, they will check your eyes for various diseases and find out why you are having trouble reading. (This exam is usually covered by your insurance). If it turns out you need reading glasses, they will give you a prescription, which is usually good for 2 years so, you don't have to get the glasses right then. Before getting prescription readers, look at the prescription, if the power for each eye (first # or SPH) is about the same for each eye AND there is little or no astigmatism (second # or CYL*) you could certainly try the drugstore reading glasses and save some money (they are so cheap you can populate the house with multiple redundant pairs and nearly always be able to find at least one when needed). If the power is considerably different for each eye and/or there is significant astigmatism, you might better get the prescription ones.

* If you have never had distance vision problems/glasses, this # will probably be 0 or very small.

If you are having trouble reading up close, then that is a sign of being far-sighted. Get some glasses from a Win-Dixie, by the pharmacy. The best for this would be glasses that magnify.

• WC

You might need glasses for reading.

Yes you need reading glasses, i used to think i don't need them but it's just so much easier with them :)

I think you do need reading glasses but cheap ones though.They sell those at walmart.Use them for reading but dont use them for anything else like driving