How would you feel if James Bond was played by a black actor?

looka, race does matter to a lot of people. So just because race doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean everyone who is a James Bond fan will agree with you.

How is it a racist question if I'm asking people their opinion on something? Talk about playing the race card.

Favorite Answer

Personally, at this point in time, I wouldn't go watch the movie. Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Piers Brosnen, Daniel Craig... They're all white. It just wouldn't be the same to me. I may change my mind in time. However it would completely depend on wheather the actor in question spoke in a proper British dialect or used ebonics and slang. This isn't meant to be racist in any way (before people jump all over me). It's just that the type of personality I grew up on was that James Bond was a white guy. I think the same could be said about the Rush Hour movie series. I don't think a white actor would play a very good Detective James Carter. He just wouldn't have the same appeal as Chris Tucker

Source(s): Personal Opinion
  • Spike

IF it a black version like the books then it might work, which describe his looks as "..good looking...rather like Hoagy Carmichael in a way" and also "blue grey eyes".

Also 110% CAN'T have any ebonic accent at all. Got to be those kind of black people that DO NOT fit the ebonic accent at all. One example of a actor that DON'T is the British Black actor Colin Salmon, who played Charles Robinson in Tomorrow Never Dies , The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day and a FBI agent in Punisher War Zone.

Must have a UK accent

But I rather have go the way it has been at since 1962 up today and the near future. Unless producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli really really want a black a James Bond

Source(s): A Bond fan and a member over at commanderbond.net
  • Fitz

Race is a non-issue for me, but if the character is white, the actor should be white. It drives me nuts when they completely change the history of a character just to be racially multi-cultural.

If they want to introduce a new 007 (not James Bond), I'd be fine with a black actor. I'd be disappointed that James was gone, but not that his replacement was a black actor.

The colour of the skin doesn't matter but having the characteristics as in tough,suave and patriotically British does. So going on that I always felt Colin Salmon would have made a good Bond because he has that persona and charisma.

• Jamie

I personally do not care, a black bond could be a new upgrade to the films, something new. I personally think the actor must be from the UK though so it keeps the films to the roots.

The name's Brown..... Chris Brown..

I've said for years that Idris Elba would make an awesome Bond. So if they stepped up and passed the gauntlet to him, I would be thrilled.

I would think it's weird because it's straying too far from the books which describe his looks as "..good looking...rather like Hoagy Carmichael in a way" (a white man) and also "blue grey eyes". I was kind of like "What?" when they announced Daniel Craig because the books also describe Bond as having black hair. But once I saw the first Bond film Craig was in I thought he was a good choice.

Yeah I agree, this is not a racist question.