How would you feel if James Bond was played by a black actor?

Update:

looka, race does matter to a lot of people. So just because race doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean everyone who is a James Bond fan will agree with you.

Update 2:

How is it a racist question if I'm asking people their opinion on something? Talk about playing the race card.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Personally, at this point in time, I wouldn't go watch the movie. Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Piers Brosnen, Daniel Craig... They're all white. It just wouldn't be the same to me. I may change my mind in time. However it would completely depend on wheather the actor in question spoke in a proper British dialect or used ebonics and slang. This isn't meant to be racist in any way (before people jump all over me). It's just that the type of personality I grew up on was that James Bond was a white guy. I think the same could be said about the Rush Hour movie series. I don't think a white actor would play a very good Detective James Carter. He just wouldn't have the same appeal as Chris Tucker

Source(s): Personal Opinion
  • Spike
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

IF it a black version like the books then it might work, which describe his looks as "..good looking...rather like Hoagy Carmichael in a way" and also "blue grey eyes".

Also 110% CAN'T have any ebonic accent at all. Got to be those kind of black people that DO NOT fit the ebonic accent at all. One example of a actor that DON'T is the British Black actor Colin Salmon, who played Charles Robinson in Tomorrow Never Dies , The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day and a FBI agent in Punisher War Zone.

Must have a UK accent

But I rather have go the way it has been at since 1962 up today and the near future. Unless producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli really really want a black a James Bond

Source(s): A Bond fan and a member over at commanderbond.net
  • Fitz
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Race is a non-issue for me, but if the character is white, the actor should be white. It drives me nuts when they completely change the history of a character just to be racially multi-cultural.

If they want to introduce a new 007 (not James Bond), I'd be fine with a black actor. I'd be disappointed that James was gone, but not that his replacement was a black actor.

• 7 years ago

The colour of the skin doesn't matter but having the characteristics as in tough,suave and patriotically British does. So going on that I always felt Colin Salmon would have made a good Bond because he has that persona and charisma.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jamie
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

I personally do not care, a black bond could be a new upgrade to the films, something new. I personally think the actor must be from the UK though so it keeps the films to the roots.

• 7 years ago

The name's Brown..... Chris Brown..

• 7 years ago

I've said for years that Idris Elba would make an awesome Bond. So if they stepped up and passed the gauntlet to him, I would be thrilled.

• 7 years ago

I would think it's weird because it's straying too far from the books which describe his looks as "..good looking...rather like Hoagy Carmichael in a way" (a white man) and also "blue grey eyes". I was kind of like "What?" when they announced Daniel Craig because the books also describe Bond as having black hair. But once I saw the first Bond film Craig was in I thought he was a good choice.

Yeah I agree, this is not a racist question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.