promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 7 years ago

NHL scoring average..........?

On average how many goals and assists would the average NHL forward and defencemen get a year?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

By average I will use the NHL stats for last year.

There were 894 players that suited up as a skater (non goalie) last year. The median player would be the one who finished 447th in scoring. This was Jason Demers with 4 goals and 9 assists for 13 points.

At Defense Scott Hannah was 149th out of 297 defensemen. He scored 2 goals and had 10 assists.

At Forward Derek McKenzie was 299th out of 597 forwards. He had 7 goals and 7 assists.

There were 6545 goals scored in the NHL last year. There were 30 teams and each team dressed 18 skaters for each game therefore the average player scored (6545/30*18) 12 goals last year. Since the record of assists per team is harder to find I will assume 1.5 assists per goal or 18 assists. So the average player will have 12 goals and 18 assists for 30 points.

The average salary in the NHL is $2.4MM Lee Stempniak was paid $2.5MM last year about average. He scored 14 goals and had 14 assists for 28 points again about average. So Lee Stempniak would be your poster boy for average.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

I'd say the typical forward would be about...

15 goals and 25 assists

The typical defensemen would be about...

8 goals and 20 assists

• Bob
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

It depends on how good the player is.

Usually about 20 goals and 50 assists

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.