Gold fish breathing air?

I just won a gold fish at a fair yesterday (her name is Dorothy). She was living in a five gallon tank with about a hundred other fish but a moved her to a large glass pitcher. She at first would only sit on the bottom, but now she just sits at the top and breathes air. She has rocks and food and a castle (free... show more I just won a gold fish at a fair yesterday (her name is Dorothy). She was living in a five gallon tank with about a hundred other fish but a moved her to a large glass pitcher. She at first would only sit on the bottom, but now she just sits at the top and breathes air. She has rocks and food and a castle (free of pointy edges of course) and a plant and I put water cleaner in her bowl. I'm about to go away for a little over a week so I got her two weeks worth of vacation food, but I don't want her to suffocate because I can't clean her tank for a week. I can't take her home with me for this break either. She is such a small ( less than and inch) gold fish, so I have a hard time believing her tank is too small and she won't eat the food till it sinks to the bottom so she's not hungry. PLEASE HELP, I'M A HUGE PETA/ANIMAL RIGHTS PERSON AND I WOULD NEVER LEAVE A FISH IN A BOWL TO SUFFOCATE!
Update: first of all, is didn't put two weeks of normal food in the tank I put two weeks of vacation food in the tank which is slow release and not the same thing, second my fish isn't going to grow to be a foot long but that's a minor detail. I changed her water and she stopped doing it so I'm pretty sure... show more first of all, is didn't put two weeks of normal food in the tank I put two weeks of vacation food in the tank which is slow release and not the same thing, second my fish isn't going to grow to be a foot long but that's a minor detail. I changed her water and she stopped doing it so I'm pretty sure you guys are right. Do you think a twelve gallon container is enough?
Update 2: wow I didn't know gold fish were so much work, my sister just kept hers in a little tiny bowl and it lived for two years...so there's no way I can keep mine in its pretty pink bowl with its home and its plant even if I change the water every day? Any way I put her in a 25 gallon rubbermaid and she seem... show more wow I didn't know gold fish were so much work, my sister just kept hers in a little tiny bowl and it lived for two years...so there's no way I can keep mine in its pretty pink bowl with its home and its plant even if I change the water every day? Any way I put her in a 25 gallon rubbermaid and she seem happy enough, its all I can do for now...I tried to giver her to another person with fish who could take better care of her, but their tank was filthy and small and had tons of fish in it already....sigh I'll try my best...