Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Is it time to cut the wages and benefits of government teachers?

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d09/tables/dt09... National Center for Education Statistics: Average salaries for full-time teachers in public and private elementary and secondary schools, by selected characteristics: 2007-08

-Public school teachers: $53,230

-Private school teachers: $39,690

It’s not as though they’re the “cream of the crop”:

-The "2000 Profile of College Bound Seniors," a report from the College Board which administers the SAT, tracked what majors 10,280 Michigan high school students chose in college. The highest SAT scorers shunned education majors, the lowest scorers chose education majors. Of the 6 percent of students who selected education as a major, their average math score was 35 points below the state average and 26 points below in verbal scores. Would-be teacher majors tied with “home economics” majors.

Nor do they do a good job. I'd give them a D-:

-12/7/07 Washington Post: “The scores from the 2006 Program for International Student Assessment showed that U.S. 15-year-olds trailed their peers from many industrialized countries. The average science score of U.S. students lagged behind those in 16 of 30 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a Paris-based group that represents the world's richest countries. The U.S. students were further behind in math, trailing counterparts in 23 countries.”

-3/9/11 AP: An estimated 82 percent of U.S. schools could be labeled as "failing" under the nation's No Child Left Behind Act this year, Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Wednesday. "We should get out of the business of labeling schools as failures and create a new law that is fair and flexible, and focused on the schools and students most at risk," Duncan said. [Translation: lower standards…again]

-9/24/12 http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/%E2%80%A6: "SAT Reading Scores Are the Lowest They've Been in 40 Years"

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why should teachers make more than Nurses? we pay their salaries and we even give them hte benefits we do not receieve. Why should a government worker make more than their counterparts in hte private sector is beyond me. I contributed to my pension (401K) Why can't they have the equality , and fairness they are always talking about? Yes, it is time to cut these wages and benefits.

Moody

• 8 years ago

First off, we have entered a period of real deflation while inflating the money supply to try to fight it. All of us can expect to be earning less in real dollars and less dollars period over the next 15 to 20 years. Have you noticed that the quality of our educational system has gone down the more the federal government is involved? Put the blame where it belongs and return control to the local governments. Some will improve, others won't. Then we get to the problem of how our society is rewarding and praising various effort.... Teachers are like everybody else, they increase effort on things that they see as being rewarded and praised and cut effort in activities that generate criticism and demotions.

• Mark T
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Holy **** , you're suggesting that teachers get paid too much, that's right because CEO's have been saving America since the invention of CEO's. Because spending less than 1% of 1% of the daily trade transaction value on your education , over the course of a whole year, is definitely the road to success.

I suspect if teacher pay was the problem, countries like Australia, Germany, France, England, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland or dozens of others wouldn't exist, or would be so crippled by "teachers unions" and the tyranny of taxes for schools, that they would all be consigned to the ashbin of history.

Of course while we debate whether evolution is real or not, I guess we'll have to rely upon German , French or South African scientists are working to discover the genetic reservoirs for dangerous aspects of aerosolized Ebola, which can just wipe out our entire civilization. We'll have to leave it to the Chinese to colonize the moon , Mars or points beyond, because science is just so f*cking liberal.

Or maybe we wake the hell up, and double salaries, ensure every kid has every reasonable resource and we demand that administrators and state politicians provide it such that we can remake our society to the demands of an increasingly complex and economically competitive world.

I'd say you were right about teachers salaries being overly lavish, but I just got back from a pot-luck cookie sale, hosted by those same fascist overlords who are trying to buy (obviously subversive) books for kids in their English classes - like spelling and reading comprehension books.

• 8 years ago

Why don't we just get rid of those pesky teachers altogether ... we can just be the dumbest nation on earth as well as the fattest ... !

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

We need to concentrate on the government bureaucracy before the teachers.

Teachers probably are the lowest paid and deserve more.

• 8 years ago

Not at all. A babysitter earns more than a teacher. Bush's "no child left behind" is what ruined education in America, and unfortunately when you factor in home-schooling (with the equivalent of a 9th grade vs. 12th grade education) that has pulled stats down.

Source(s): Right!
  • 8 years ago

Clearly, the best way to attract better people to the teaching profession is to cut their salaries. That's capitalism!

Besides, with salaries averaging $53,290 (not just starting salaries, but salaries including those who have taught for many years), it's obvious that teachers are already WAY overpaid. The average working American earns a lot less than that, right?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.