What other books would you recommend?

I want to give my friend, a fourteen-year-old guy, a few books for his birthday. One of them I've already picked out--the House of Scorpions by Nancy Farmer--but as for the others, I'm stumped. I know that his favorite books are the Catcher in the Rye and Fahrenheit 451. I thought about giving him a Tale of Two Cities, the Taming of the Shrew, 1984, or the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which are all favorites of mine. What do you think?

• Favorite Answer

Cirque Du Freak Series by Darren Shan

Eragon Series by Christopher Paolini

Game of Thrones - George Martin

ANY books by Cornelia Funke should be great for Percy Jackson/Harry Potter fans. :)

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Brother Grimm - Craig Russell

The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

Here's one more for you: "Silver Wings" By: Joseph Emmanuel Trust. Read this brief description of the book to see if it's something you'd like:

“Silver Wings is the first fiction novel which delves into Ederen’s life, a young sange (half-angel, half-human) who opened his eyes ten months ago with no memory of his past and a sole recurring dream. While trying to uncover what was lost, Ederen is captured and enslaved, where he befriends Anaxia, and Aenea. After a manipulated escape, Ederen breaks free to find himself in the middle of a war between two brother races fighting for control. To survive, he must choose between the friend who saved his life, and the woman who entranced his heart, but one of these must pay the ultimate sacrifice.”

I would also suggest anything from "Ted Dekker"... He's a great author and you get hooked on his books immediately! Enjoy your reading time!

Michael Vey (2 books so far in series), Richard Evans

Animal Farm, George Orwell

• Rose D

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's a classic sci fi novel, and for good reason.

Has he read any of the YA dystopian series yet? Such as Uglies, Divergent, or Hunger Games?

Brave New World?

http://www.squidoo.com/fight-the-system-a-revoluti...

Sherlock Holmes is a crowd-pleaser, and he may like 1984 since Fahrenheit 451 is one of his favorites. He may also enjoy Animal Farm by George Orwell.

He might enjoy the Sherlock Holmes book.

• Mircat

Trilogy of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien