Glock 19 handgun random question?

I turned 21 a few months ago so i went out and bought a Glock 19 for my first handgun i've been trying to figure out this ever since i got it but it just came back to my mind but whats with the two fired shell casings that came with the gun what are they for?

Favorite Answer

Specifically, CA, MD, and NY require that the gun shop/purchaser send the casing off to a state registry along with your information and the serial number of the gun ostensibly so if the gun is used in a crime and they find a fired case they can trace the gun used in the crime to you, as if criminals would walk into a gun store and buy a new gun.

If a gun is packed/shipped without the case it must state that this firearm cannot sold in CA, MD, and NY.

All of which means if you don't want the gun traceable to you then buy a used gun.

Its good that you found a handgun that you would love and enjoy for years to come. I would have to say night sights would be a worthwhile investment though for any handgun. That was something I was gonna do once I got the cash with my 1911's, Beretta's and so on. The accessory rail is also gonna be nice for you to since you can add a light and or laser combo. Other posts here mention about the Glock being popular with law enforcement and yes thats a good point since most officers are issued one. I had been searching officer's accounts how the pistol worked for them in the field. There are some that swear by em and others that say they want something else. I also found about the problems that Glock 19's were having in NY it mentioned that the pistol would jam in the field and it required some tools to fix the jam. The past few years the Glock 21 was authorized as an off duty weapon in LA but they are having trouble with that pistol as well and to this day I cant find an answer if they fixed the problem or not. Every pistol has some good points and bad points and yes lots of people love their Glocks and I'm sure die hard Glock fans are gonna say I dont know what I'm talking about mentioning the problems NY and LA were having with some Glock pistols but everyone should know there isnt a perfect handgun they all with have trouble here and there.

Since YOU got the casing, it's nothing more than QA to test fire one round at the range. In some states, no shell casings are found and the first person answered the reason why for that.

• Mr.357

The first answer is correct. You can defeat it by lightly sanding the end of the firing pin and the bolt face. You don't really need to remove any metal to speak of, just change the scratches on each.

proof testing. mine case with 1 case, and it's basically proof that this gun has been inspected and fired at factory, met or exceeded their standards. the proof test load is typically overpressure, testing to show the gun will not explode or malfunction using ammunition right up to the maximum pressure of 9mm (i think is 35k)

Source(s): i asked glock. they said it's proof testing.

They're proof rounds. They're overrepressured rounds that "prove" that the gun will be safe to fire. That's how the gun gets those proof stamps on it. Some states, though very few, require casings to be sent to law enforcement to see if they'll ever match from a crime scene. This was a failed measure as guns change markings with time and wear and you can just change the barrel and firing pin and its thumbs up their @$$e$$. The anti gunners don't want to admit this which is the only reason they've kept this policy. But other than the reasons above they're just a novelty.

Most of the time they're proof rounds (that the gun fires).

Otherwise if you live in those three states, it's a law enforcement compliance thing. It's stupid cause you could put a different firing pin, extractor and barrel in your gun and it wouldn't match the ballistics as the one they have on record.

• WC

A few states requires FFL's to send the factory fired casings that come with he gun to the state police for tracing purposes.

One or more of states (MD, for example) require that the shell casing be sent in by the dealer when the handgun is registered as a "fingerprint" for the gun. The idea is that if shell cases are found at a crime scene they can be matched to the gun. That is assuming the criminal bought his gun legally through a dealer. MD is one of the minority of states that registers handguns.