Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 8 years ago

Whats the best power setup for off grid living?

Something so i can comfortably use electricity, to watch tv, appliances, and extra power so i always have a bit more than i need. And how much will this set up cost?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Live like we USE to,

No electricity,

wood or coal stove, [ for heat & cooking]

pump water by hand, build an out house, use kerosene lamps

or candles,

battery powered radio, w/ a wind generator to recharge them,

dig a hole 6 feet deep put a door on it for food storage, dry meat, [jerky] raise chicken's

can stuff in fall, use a sleeping bag at night,

your dreaming , too expensive to go GREEN

Source(s): old timer
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

in case you have a deep adequate wallet, something is practicable. while you're unlikely to alter your utilization varieties or adapt your electronics,( I particularly have a stereo gadget that works off a 12 volt deep cycle battery with distant that works only superb while you at the instant are not making plans to shake shingles off the roof whenever you hear to it). a number of your extra instruments might desire to run only superb on 12 volt ability. It jsut expenses money to cost up batteries which value money, which might otherwise want ability inverters which additionally value money. the base line of it particularly is how lots are you prepared to spend on the put in gadget? you will discover 12 volt home equipment on the cyber web, even some 24 volt stuff. yet once you're prepared to spend lots greater advantageous than you may desire to easily only for the ease, it particularly is your selection. it particularly is practicable, yet with some significant expenses.

• 4 years ago

in case you have a deep sufficient wallet, something is conceivable. in case you're unlikely to change your utilization varieties or adapt your electronics,( I actual have a stereo device that works off a 12 volt deep cycle battery with distant that works only high-quality in case you're no longer making plans to shake shingles off the roof whenever you hear to it). a number of your extra gadgets might desire to run only high-quality on 12 volt ability. It jsut expenses money to cost up batteries which fee money, which might in any different case want ability inverters which additionally fee money. the base line of it truly is how plenty are you keen to spend on the put in device? you will discover 12 volt home equipment on the internet, even some 24 volt stuff. yet once you're keen to spend plenty extra beneficial than you could desire to easily only for the convenience, it truly is your decision. it truly is conceivable, yet with some significant expenses.

• Jim W
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

There is no such thing as the best for living off the grid. Each situation has advantages and disadvantages. To have more than you use it just takes a bigger unit. As to how much it will cost probably a lot more than you are willing to pay and certainly more than your electric bill will be totaled up for 20 years. As good as living off the grid sounds, the capital cost is a large expense. A permanent installed diesel generator that can supply about 50 KW may run $500/ KW plus the labor to install it and then you need the fuel to operate at the rate of 5 gallons per hour. You also need fuel storage. Wind turbines are more expensive, solar is not reliable except in areas where the sun shines 300 days a year or so to pay for the installation. Mini generators for hydro needs water and these can be intermittent since they need water and that means a dam. Hope this helps clarify some of the issues that are involved in going off the grid.

Source(s): 50+ years in the electrical industry
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Gonna need a source of electric power generation - solar, wind, or hydraulic in a nearby stream. In town, building codes (and neighbor covenants) may require permits, if at all possible. Price depends largely on capacity, but WAG - I'd assume $10k to get serious.

This ignores stuff like a diesel generator with a real big tank, or methane production, etc.

Meanwhile, reassess the level of use, as the less you really need, the lower the power and cost requirements. The convenience, reliability, and actually incredible power that a metro grid can provide is pretty hard to match (except when a storm knocks it down).

So maybe it would be useful to reduce, but not eliminate living on the grid?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

wow, this only took me 5 seconds to do.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&s...

use google and you use common sense.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.