Sandra asked in HealthOther - Health · 8 years ago

What disease I have with very low levels of HGB,HCT,MCV,MCH?

Hello, I would be very very grateful if somebody could give me a wise opinion about my blood test analysis . I am 43 years old,I m a woman, and my (HGB) is 9,7 g/dl, (HCT)-30,6 (MCV)-68 FI, (PDW)-22,8%,(MCH)-21,6 pg, iron 12,3 ug/dl,(RDW)-18,9%., (MCHC)31.6 g/dl RBC 4.09 10^6/uL .my cholesterol level is 278mg/dl. thank you a lot for your help! God bless you!

• Jonah
    Favorite Answer

The low HGB and HCT mean that you have fewer red blood cells than is normal (a lot fewer, actually- the bottom of the normal range for women is 12 g/dl of hemoglobin and 38% hematocrit). That means you have anemia.

Your doctor looked for a cause of anemia by checking your iron levels. Your iron levels, at 12.3 ug/dl, are very low. Your body need iron in order to make red blood cells, so if your iron levels are low, that will cause your red blood cell counts and levels to be low, which yours are. That is good news, because anemia caused by iron deficiency is much easier to treat than anemia caused by other things (such as internal bleeding from an ulcer, or blood cancers, or even other vitamin deficiencies). This is also good news, because with anemia at that level, I expect it to have been making you tired. You should notice having more energy as your red blood cell numbers go up.

Your doctor may prescribe iron supplements and you should probably take a look at your diet to see if you can get more iron into your diet. If you are a vegetarian, you also need to get enough vitamin C in order to be able to absorb plant sources of iron. Anemia may become less of an issue for you when you reach menopause; the blood loss from menstruation means that 20% of women aged 15-45 in the United States have anemia, compared to 2% of men aged 15-45.

Your total cholesterol is high, which is separate from the issue of your anemia. People don't generally feel any symptoms from high cholesterol levels, but it puts them at a higher risk of heart disease. Your doctor might prescribe a cholesterol lowering medication. Weight loss usually lowers cholesterol, so if you are overweight, losing weight would help. You may also want to reduce your dietary sources of cholesterol, such as meat and eggs.

Often times people with Chron's have difficulty absorbing nutrients and have to supplement. I have taken vitamin d before when low. I used one by Carlson Laboratories called Super Daily D3. It was one drop a day really easy.