Second miscarriage. Why does this keep happening?

I have a beautiful 7 year old daughter whom I had when I was 25. I am now 33. I had a miscarriage in August at 6 weeks pg. I was heartbroken but determined to try again. I got pregnant again in September. The doctor wasn't worried because I had just the one miscarriage and I wasn't far along so my body didn't need time to heal from it. Yesterday, at 10 weeks I lost my baby again. Why does this keep happening? I really want another baby but I'm afraid that I will never be able to carry one to term. Is it because of my age? I don't drink, I don't smoke and I have a pretty healthy lifestyle with eating decent and exercising regularly. They did an ultrasound yesterday to confirm the loss and found nothing wrong with my uterus or ovaries. I don't know what to think. I don't know if it pays to try again. I can't go through another one. I am barely coping with this one.

Favorite Answer

You've probably just had bad luck. You had a baby before and were able to successfully carry it. At 33 you aren't considered to be advanced maternal age where there would be significant differences in your fertility. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes, when 25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage anyway. Has your doctor said anything or wanted to test you for blood clotting disorders or checked your progesterone levels or anything like that? You might ask about those things to see if there is some issue that is being undiagnosed. They may not want to pursue it though unless you've had more than 3 miscarriages.

Sorry for your losses. Best of luck.

Source(s): RN