Anonymous

Is Pre-med program and a minor too much for college?

I have been accepted where I want to go already and I definently want to go into pre-med to be a doctor with a biology or public health major. On the other hand, I really love music, not singing, but high school bands in particular. I am very into competitve marching bands and want to right and direct shows for BOA bands. I know they are two completely different things, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I want to be an infectious disease doctor, or something similar to that becuase I want to do lab research. Do you think with a minor in music or something similar, I would be able to work part-time with a band? I have a lot of ambition, but i can't decide on what to do.

Favorite Answer

Pre-med is about 10 courses that you have to complete in order to be considered for med school. Realistically you have to be close to 4.0 in those courses. You can major in anything you want - even poetry.

However, your med school admission will also be based on how well you do on the MCAT. If the undergraduate school offers a program that gives you the tools to get a fantastic MCAT score you ought to do better on the exam.

A minor in music should not interfere with your other goals at all.

• Ashley

Getting into med school is a lot like getting into a good undergad college... they will be looking not only at your grades and MCAT scores, but your extracurriculars as well. Medical schools want to produce doctors who are well rounded, interesting people who can relate to their patients and interact well with them. Continuing your interest in band is a GREAT idea, as long as you can maintain a good GPA. When a friend of mine interviewed for med school, the main thing they asked her about was her college cheerleading experience!

• drip

Pre med is not a major, you must pick a major and do the pre med classes required by Medical schools.

A music major or minor takes up a lot of time outside of the classroom. You will need to audition for the music department in order to major or minor in music. Band will take up a lot of time. I would meet with the director of the marching band. Get some facts direct from the director

• TK

Pre-med is pretty intensive, and this is where you earn your opportunity to get admitted to medical school. If you want to be a doctor, you have to out-compete everyone else in the pre-med program in order to get that spot. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you'd have to be better than a lot of other talented people to pull off getting accepted to med school. Doing the music minor at the same time could risk that opportunity.