Can you become a nutritionist with a Biochemistry degree?

I'm currently in my third year in college pursuing a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Biotechnology degree. Originally, I wanted to go into pharmaceutical medicine and wanted to work at Abbott Labs or Phizer. However, recently I have become less and less interested in this field after holding a job at an organic chemistry lab doing research for a couple months. I have become more interested in going into nutritional science and becoming a nutritionist or dietitian, as I am extremely health conscious and enjoy being healthy and working out.

Would it be possible for me to go on to study to be a nutritionist in graduate school with this undergraduate degree? If so, what steps would I need to take to make that happen? Thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

Yes, and no. But first, it depends if you want to be a nutritionist or a registered dietitian. "Nutritionist" is kind of a vague term - anyone can call themselves a nutritionist just like anyone can call themselves a runner. A registered dietitian has met a certain standard and education level.

If you want to just study nutrition in grad school with a biochem degree, then yes. Usually the prereqs are bio, chem, biochem, and physiology. But most would advise having courses in nutrition.

If you want to become an RD, then you need to take the accredited courses, which will allow you to apply for a dietetic internship (a post-bacc program) that will then allow you take the exam to become an RD. DI's are VERY competitive - more competitive than med school. There are some dual masters/DI program. Some people will get their masters first and then apply for a DI.

In any case, the some of the classes you need in your undergrad are very specific or JUST for nutrition/dietetics majors. It's required you take all the food service management, food science, medical nutrition therapy, and community nutrition on top of the core science classes like physiology, biochem, etc. There's also some social science classes in there as well, like communications, sociology, psych, and management.

Go to this website: http://www.eatright.org/BecomeanRDorDTR/content.as...

This will tell you everything since they're the hub for all accreditation.

Good luck!

Source(s): BS in nutrition

Become Nutritionist

It takes a Degree in nutrition to become a nutritionalist. As for fees, Depends on the university/college you go to.

• David

biochemistry is a great science background for nutrition! You should be fine (:

If anything you can always get a minor in nutrition if you want that specific background. I checked the minor program at my school and some of the nutrition major and biology major classes overlap somewhat. I say somewhat because the overlapping classes are all pre-reqs needed for the minor (biochemistry, organic chemistry, general chemistry, physiology). The actual minor consists of 12 credits (more than the pre-reqs surprisingly lol) so its possible to do it all in one semester!

Best of luck (:

Source(s): biology major