Smoke alarm still not powered?

So I have recently replaced all of my smoke alarms in my home. The old ones were 13 years old and did not have an indicator light on them to say they were powered. 1 by 1 they started chirping and so I decided to replace them. They are all hardwired and interconnected. I have put new ones in that do have an indicator light that shows they have power. Well, none of them have the lights on and using a voltmeter there is no power in the hard lines coming into each unit. I rechecked all of my connections and they are solid.

So my question is, how do I find where my main power source is and if I am getting power at all! I have no breakers that are tripped at my box. I can't think of anything else to do without forking out a ton of money to an electrician. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Why don't you just get a battery operated one, and you won't have any of those issues.

• Jim W

You have already gone through the easy to find and fix problems. Next is in the power panel itself. Since none of the breakers are tripped it involves working in the panel itself to locate the F A circuit and verify that all of those connections are complete. Also it is possible that the F A circuit has a faulty breaker that appears to be in the on position but has not actually closed electrical circuit to pass power through it to the F A units. To test for this you will need a good analog meter or a solenoid type tester. A digital meter will lie to you about power when there are multiple circuits in the box.

Since a F A circuit is usually #14 wire the breaker should be either a 10 or a 15 amp breaker. While you are inspecting your panel it would be a good idea to identify each circuit and label them in the panel index and date the label.

If you are uncertain about doing this work hire a qualified professional electrician to do the work.

Source(s): 50+ years in the electrical industry

Obviously, for code concerns a battery only is not an option.

The majority of homes smokes' circuit is wired with 14 gauge wire and is on a separate circuit. A little rooting around as mentioned to find the circuit is in order. If there are no breakers showing that they are off or tripped, it is in the connections.

Obviously, make sure the connections in the panel are tight as a loose neutral would cause an issue like this as well as the connection at the breaker. The breaker should be a 15A breaker. If all good there, I would start at the closest smoke, check the connections and wiring in the junction box and work your way from the panel. Not a fun experience but gotta be done. Also make sure you are checking the voltage correctly with your meter.

Source(s): Experience.

crawl into attic space, the power wire should come from breaker box to nearest smoke detector box and then jump to the rest of the boxes.

take faceplate off breaker box, shake main power wire from attic and have some one see which wire is it is going in to breaker box. trace that wire to its breaker. check breaker is working with voltmeter,

Please give me the 10 points for best answer!!

• Poppy

Ok, so you obtained a power source for the detectors, is there power at that location?