My dog has a growth on her back leg that has been there for a month,?

Up til today I never noticed her messing with it. Now she has been licking it and it was bleeding a little.

The vet told me not to worry about it before, but it looks totally different now. Does this look like something I should not worry about? there is a photo on my facebook page at catrina.tessmer@gmail.com Thank you

I can't see the pic, because I don't trust FB, but it could be fatty acid tumor. My lab has some of them, and if they are true fatty acid tumor 90% of the time they are not going to hurt your pup.

Best of luck to both of you

• Jeanne

ATTEN H: Sebaceous cysts are NOT viruses.....and they do NOT spread. Humans get them, my husband had one for yrs....he wouldn't go get it removed, but it had to be drained about every 3-4 mos or it would ooze out onto his shirt and office chair, and the smell is awful. Google Sebaceous Cysts....you are in for an eye opener.

Better yet, look for them on You Tube...they will tell you ALL about them, and show you how to drain them

This needs to be checked, ASAP. In fact, I think you may need to see a different vet - your sounds too conservative,OR not knowledgeable enough. A lump that can change shape (swell up & down) and/or cause itching is often giving out histines -that is the most common symptom of mast cell tumors (that are generally cancerous). They often show up on the extremities. Bleeding may be caused (if it is cancerous) or due to the dog bothering the site too much.

INSIST on having a needle BIOPSY done in the vet office (can be done under a local anesthetic). That can tell you whether to be concerned enough to have the lump removed. Or you can simply insist on having it removed, regardless.

• H

It is very likely a sebaceous cyst. My dog started out with one on his leg. It was small like a pimple when I discovered my dog licking it. I rushed him to the vet because I thought it was cancer. He told me not to worry. It wasn't cancer, It was a sebaceous cyst and that a lot of dogs get these. They start out small and grow about the size of a pea. The top of the cyst can be round or it can be contoured like a tooth. A molar. They will bleed some and sometimes they can ooze a clear or greenish color liquid. They are harmless to the dog. It's just something that dogs can get. The vet told me to expect more of them. He has maybe 5 now. The vet told me to wipe them off with Hydrogen Peroxide once a day to keep them clean. Any breed can get them. It's actually a virus but, it's not transferable to humans. They can be removed but, since they are not harmful and if you keep it clean, I see no reason to put my dog under anesthesia for something that isn't harmful and they will always grow back. Even when surgically removed. If you keep it clean, your dog probably wont mess with it anymore. My dog has a couple that are the size of a pea and others that are smaller but will probably get bigger. Don't worry if the vet said it's OK. These cysts grow and change shape and color.

Source(s): Long time dog owner

GO TO A VET ASAP PLEASE

• Holly

If it's changing, growing, or causing irritation to the dog, then yes, you should have a vet look at it again.