How to open extremely large images?

Hello, I'm trying to open a gigantic image.

178.16mb,

221386px x 31594px,

I can't seem to open it in windows photoviewer, Gimp, Photoshop, Browsers etc.

Is there a way I can open the image to view it?

Regards,

Liam.

• B K
    Favorite Answer

If you can't open it, perhaps your computer isn't up to the job. You'll need a large tile cache available to open it up in GIMP or Photoshop. That is a huge image: nearly 7000 megapixels.

GIMP's image size limit is 262144 by 262144 pixels - so it should certainly be able to open it. You may need to adjust the available tile cache and maximum file size limit in the preferences.

Although the file itself is not massive in itself, and probably a jpeg, when it opens in an image editor it will eat your system resources like a starving carnivore on steroids.

This is not about the compressed file size itself - it's about the size of the image, and the amount of your memory a program will consume when you open it, it will expand up to full size and use all your existing RAM and start using your Hard Disk as the over flow. It'll take an age to open, even with a powerful computer.

The size would have an impact on severely on the cpu and could truly cause the laptop to stop working. Most, if now not all, video making application best enable as much as ninety nine frames complete. It is the reveal decision (and video container) that determines the output measurement so make every body best about 800 x 600 maximum are trying the home windows movie Maker, that seems to be a wellknown choice..

• keerok

Turn key clockwise and pull down the zipper. ;)

If you can't open the image, you may need to install more memory in your computer. Then again, the image may be corrupted (broken) that's why it doesn't open. A picture that huge must a RAW image. You most probably are not using the a graphics program that recognizes it.

• Judas

178MB is just the compressed size of the file. When you open it in an image editor, it has to be uncompressed to be worked on. A file of the dimensions you state, at 24 bits per pixel (might be more than that) will occupy around 20GB (yes, gigabytes) of memory. Depending on your computer, most these days have 4GB, less if it's older.

If you try and use 20GB of memory, and you only have 4GB, it will immediately occupy the 4GB and temporarily spill over onto your hard disk. This is normal and expected, but hard disks are slow and it will take a considerable amount of time to write the remaining 16GB to disk - possibly several hours.

Once you open the file, doing anything with it, including resizing it, will take a long time, and consume yet more memory, because Photoshop/GIMP/etc will save additional data as you edit for the undo history.

Realistically, I would resize your monster image down to something a bit more "sane" like 100 megapixels, which will easily take you 24 hours to open, resize, save a copy. Once you've done that, you can then edit as you see fit.

I'm curious, where did you get such a huge image? I once assembled a large panorama out of shots scanned from large format film which was over 1000 megapixels and it took a fair bit of effort to edit. It was a nice quality image, but in the end I resized it to under 1 megapixel for use on my website. Ho hum...

178mb is not that huge, my standard images when exported as .tif files are over 140MB, and my PaintShopPro images are often in excess of 1GB once you start playing with layers. I can only suggest that you should be able to open such large images in GiMP (or similar) if you have enough RAM and a fast enough computer.

GIMP should be able to open that, the max height and width of an image allowed in GIMP is 2^18 (262,144) pixels, with a max memory size of 4 terabytes.

What are your computer specs? That may be an issue.

Edit: Spelling Correction

Although the pixel count is high, the file size itself is pretty small.

Photoshop 10 and later allow for a maximum pixel dimesion of 300,000 pixels per side. That is pretty huge; the equivalent of 9,000 megapixels.

Photoshop elements has a limitation of 30,000 pixels per edge, which is still ridiculously big.

I doubt Gimp or Photoviewer will be able to open it.