Pilot
Pilot asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 years ago

A question about the morals of vegetarianism and abortion?

Hi! I first want to say that I am not trying to spark an argument, I am just curious to hear your opinion and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

A lot other vegetarians/vegans I know choose to be vegan/vegetarian because they are compassionate towards the lives of animals, and don't want to take them away to suit their own interests. This got me thinking about abortion. Personally, I am a vegetarian because I'm Buddhist. I believe all life is sacred, including a potential child, regardless of how developed the embryo is.

I am pro choice, though, because (A) I don't believe in imposing my morality on others, and (B) the most effective thing to do would be to teach about contraceptives and educate women in poorer communities if we really do want to make a difference

So if you are a vegetarian for moral purposes and you would get an abortion, I am curious to hear your opinion on the matter. Is it simply because the unborn child is not sentient? Please tell me your opinion! Thanks!

I am asking this in this section not because I think it is particularly relevant to veganism/vegetarianism, but because I will get a wider variety of opinions from actual vegans/vegetarians

Favorite Answer

I am vegetarian and totally pro-choice. However, that does not mean that if I was faced with the choice of getting an abortion, it would be a decision taken lightly, or even a decision I could make. I am pro-choice because I believe that a person should have the choice about what happens with their own body.

I believe that there are already plenty of unwanted children in this world. Who would pro life legislation effect? Not the rich or middle class, but the poor, young, etc.

What would happen to all these children? Think about all the abortions that are performed every year, all these abortions would be children. I believe there would be an increase in child abuse, possibly the reintroduction of orphanages. I think it is tragic enough that many children grow up in foster homes without parents, and eventually end up aging out of the system. In a way I think pro-choice is pro-life, I am for the children already born into this world that live without the security and love of a family. We need to fix these problems first.

I find pro-lifers a tad hypocritical. How many people that are pro-life have adopted African American babies, sick, drug addicted babies, mentally/physically handicapped, or any children at all? Not many, I also find it interesting that people in America will go all the way to China to adopt a healthy white baby instead of adopting an African American baby in the United States.

I can't think of anything worse than a child coming into this world unwanted by their parents, and even though there are some parents that would love and care for the child after they gave birth, there are many more that would resent and most likely abuse and neglect the child.

We are talking about poor, young mothers that are left to raise these children alone. 52% of women obtaining abortions in the U.S. are younger than 25(and this is an older stat., it probably higher by now.) Who pays for these children, not a struggling unwed mother. In 2002, 1.29 million abortions took place . Image these all as children, what would happen to them?

Also not all people who receive abortions were irresponsible when they had sex, Fifty-four percent of women having abortions used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users reported using their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users reported correct use. Contraceptives are not a fail safe. All is well and good to say you wouldn't abort a fetus if you are well established(monetary, economically, career, husband/wife) when/if your contraceptive method fails, but it is much harder to do if you are low income, young and uneducated.

It is easy to say abortions should not happen, but think of it in terms of children that would actually be in this world. I won't even go into the statistics about adults that come from families where they were neglected, abused and unwanted. I don't only think we would see an increase of children in foster care, but an increase down the road of criminals.

Some vegetarians are that extream that they wont use the fork because it "touched bacon". I'm not one of those vegetarians that go around preaching and bugging you about eating a chicken wing. I don't even tell people if they don't ask. If they offer me meat I just simply say 'no thank you'. But it's late so why not rant? haha. We don't have sharp teeth to tear the raw meat. We don't have sharp claws to kill with. Do you think that this is for a reason? Each vegetarian saves about 100 animals a year. I am also a Christian but that has no effect on me. In fact I think it makes me stronger to be a vegetarian. So yes there are some annoying vegan/vegetarians that rant on how bad it is. I don't usually do that so yea. But eat what ever you want. I have the utmost respect for you and your opinions. Everyone has opinions. Just like I have an opinion.

I am a vegan, against the killing of animals, and as such I am also pro-life. If I am against the killing of a chicken or a clam with questionable sentience, how can I possibly support the killing of a human baby? The baby that lives inside its mother's belly is a separate life - no more "the woman's body" than a tick imbedded in my skin and living off of my blood is part of my body (I will take the tick out, though, as having it in me is potentially life-threatening). A life living off of another life. Technically, yes, a parasite. But calling a baby a parasite is not a logical support for abortion, as to call it a parasite (which it is, technically) is admitting that it is a separate life. I also don't like the "I'm pro-choice because I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on others." If you believe that the baby is a baby and that killing it is murder, then you're saying that you support other people making the choice to murder.

To me, the only time that abortion is acceptable is when the mother's life is in jeopardy, because then it is a question of one death or two. That said, I am also extremely pro-birth control and also pro-morning after pill. Most abortions come from unprotected consentual sex. We need to focus on prevention more than damage control.

I am a vegetarian/on and off vegan, and it's mostly for the animals. I believe EVEY life if important, even the life of a little spider, and especially the life of an unborn baby.

in my opinion, it is not a "choice" to get an abortion. the choice was having sex, and a potention pregnancy is sometimes the result of that. that person already made their choice, and why should a baby have to pay the price for a choice that was already made? so to me, sex is the choice, abortion is murder. you can't kill something that's inside of you and not call it murder. it is a natural thing, pregnancy, and if you don't want to take that risk don't have sex. the case of rape is a different story, and I understand that that is not the mothers choice, but why should the baby have to pay for it? why not have it and give it up for adoption?

anyway, I don't believe in harming any living thing, and to me an unborn baby is a living thing (how could it not be??)

• I am a pro-choice vegan. I was pro-choice long before I was vegan. I don't think it's contradictory and here's why: I value existing lives over potential lives. I value those who have been born over those who have not. I think we should worry about children who are already on this overcrowded planet before we worry about fetuses. I believe every child should be a wanted child. I also believe very strongly in contraceptives. I believe ensuring every woman has contraceptives and uses them will do a lot to reduce unwanted pregnancy and therefore abortion.

As for me, well, luckily it's a choice I've never had to make. And at my age, it's very unlikely I'll be put in that position. So that question is probably moot for me.

I find it odd that many of those who talk of the "sanctity of life" when it comes to abortion tend to forget about how sacred that life is once the baby is born and they eat meat, hunt, support capital punishment, and are pro-war. To hear some of them talk, you'd think that for them life begins at conception and ends at birth and doesn't count non-humans.

I'm a vegetarian because it's healthier. Not really about animals, but I do hate the way they are treated before they get slaughtered! It's not right. :( And I'm pro choice. For the same reasons as you, and because I believe that you shouldn't ever be forced to have a baby if you don't want to! That would be terrible.

I am a vegan that is against abortion. An unborn child, no matter how many months is a potential life .Foetuses are human beings and if not tampered with will be born and live. All life whether animal or human is special and should be treated that way.

I'm semi-vegetarian and I believe it is wrong for anyone to have an abortion for any reason (even in rape cases), or at any stage in pregnancy. Abortion is murder, and murder is against the law, so why should abortion be legal?

An innocent baby shouldn't have to suffer because of someone else's sin.

That's just my 2 cents :)

http://2corinthians5-17.webs.com/

I am a vegetarian partly because of animal rights, and partly simply because I can't stand meat. I would never get an abortion, that baby should have to pay the price for your mistake. People always want the easy way out....plus, if a baby is conceived, then it was meant to be. Even victims of rape I think shouldn't be allowed to abort, as it is all part of Gods plan. But this is just my opinion.

Vegan and pro choice. 91-93% of abortions occur by or before 12 weeks, by that point the foetus is miniscule with extremely primitive brain function...there is no way it can feel pain. After about 20 weeks I think it should only be performed under certain circumstances though. I am pro-choice because:

A woman matters more to me than a non-sentient living being, even if it will be a baby in the future.

I do not want children myself and although I am very careful if I were to get pregnant I would probably end my own life before give birth...I support other women in their right to choose abortion for whatever reason.

There are enough unwanted children in the world.

And the world population is dangerously large...IMO abortion is one factor helping keep a lid on it. Better abortion than famine, war, drought etc that could be brought on when there are too many humans on this planet.