Musical People: What is this called?

So this song's melody of the voice sounds really weird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0n62l2EfTM

Youtube thumbnail

And I'm pretty sure it's a strategy in music

My friend was guessing flat notes?

I explain it like the black keys on a piano, how the notes sound "off"?

Another thing my friend said was that its like the words melody don't sound like they would go with the instrument melody, so it sounds good together in a weird way?

I'm seriously in love with this song so much, I think it's really beautiful. It's hard to sing [not lyrics, but melody wise]

I don't know. What are your opinions on the song and tips on being able to sing it

Favorite Answer

Yes, I see what you mean. In music, there are pitches that fall under the category of dissonance and consonance. What you are hearing in this song is some dissonance in the singers voice.

I will try to explain:

There are major scales and minor scales. In a C major scale, you have the notes:

C D E F G A B

If you diverge from these notes and play a D# or G# for example, it will sound like it doesn't belong and will therefore be a dissonance.

So simply put, the singer is singing notes that don't belong in the songs key. It is a common part of music and can create a great atmosphere when done correctly.

As for singing, I have no idea hahah. I'm not a singer!

Source(s): Personal experience!