promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
J. asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 8 years ago

Can i charge a motorcycle/scooter battery with a car charger?

my scooter battery is low due to lack of use.

is it safe to charge the battery with a car charger set at 2amps?

or would i be better off getting a motorcycle charger?

thanks for the help

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think 2 amps is too much to charge a motorcycle battery. 2 amps at 12 volts is 24 watts, which is not a huge amount of power. Some of this will go to charging the battery, some will be converted directly to heat, say 8-10 watts. That shouldn't 'cook' the battery. If you're worried about it, feel the battery with your hand after an hour or so and see if it's really hot. (It should be a little warm). But it should be fine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Some battery chargers have an internal relay which won't allow them to charge a totally depleated battery. It's possible your new charger is like that. Did you try using another vehicle to jump your car? With a totally dead battery you'll need to hook up the cables and let the other vehicle run for a few minutes to get a small charge into your battery before attempting to start your car, while the jumper cables are still attached. This is also a way to put enough of a charge into your battery for the charger to trip the internal relay and begin charging your battery. Regardless, if your battery is 5 years old it's time for a replacement.

• A-Two
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

yes. as long as both are 12v. the battery will only charge as much as it needs and once they are at the same voltage the charging will stop.

take one extra precaution stand the battery in some cool water and do not charge for more than stated time. If it is a battery that requires distilled water top up afterwards.

• 8 years ago

If the charger has a 2 amp setting it can be used to charge a motorcycle battery.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I've charged my bikes' batteries that way a few times. Never had any problems.

• 8 years ago

No it isn't suitable

Your scooter has probable a 5 or 6 AH battery

for you to get the most out of a recharge you need to do it at a few hundred milliamps NOT at 2 amps. This will COOK the battery and destroy it quicker than anything.

As a short stop gap you could put it onto charge for 20 minutes leave it to rest for at least an hour then give it another 20 minutes, do not charge it in total for more than 3 hours.

If you are depserate to get out on the bike

giving it a 1 hour charge and testing to see if it will start then taking the bike out for a LONG 3-4 hour run will help restor the battery a bit.

Your best bet is to find either a bike battery charger for as little as a 4.99 from one of the market type whole salers or take your bike to a garage that can trickle charge it.

you could invest anything between 19.00 and 40.00 on a proper bike maintainence charger if you are leaving the bike for long periods without use

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.