Have you ever been called to do jury service?

I haven't. Am I not responsible enough? Is it completely random how they chose people? Is it a worthwhile thing to do or can it be a bit grisly? Any experience s would be welcome, tah.

Favorite Answer

Being called up for jury duty is all a luck of the draw. Never having been called up is not a reflection on you or how responsible a citizen you are.

I've been called up several times, but I know at least one person who didn't get called up until he was 53.

I think jury duty is extremely worthwhile. It's an honor and a privilege. Sometimes, the cases can be grisly, particularly if it is a murder or a child abuse case but I don't think that having a tough case makes jury duty any less of an honor and privilege.

• Yes have been called for both State and Federal jury duty. It's just luck of the draw, my dad gets called all the time while his neighbor hasn't been called in over 20 years.

Most likely you will just sit around in the ante room of the court house all day and then go home. If you get called they will ask you a few questions. If you or a close relative have ever been part of any action, such as your motorcycle was stolen, or your cousin is in prison for sex with a minor, you will not be picked for a jury.

• Mark

I did receive notice to come to the county courthouse for jury duty, and I went. I and several others sat around in the hallway outside the courtroom for a long time, then the judge called us in and said that we didn't have to sit around for the trial due to the fact that the parties settled their case without a trial. He also said that our presence wasn't an entire waste of time, because the fact that we were there meant that there was pressure on the attorneys to settle the case. I am 48 years old now, and that event was a pretty long time ago. I haven't been summoned again since then.

In most states they choose among licensed drivers. If selected, they will question you to determine if you're qualified. They chose me once, I called the judges clerk and explained my job required me traveling and being gone most of the week. She said she will explain it to the judge but was sure he would understand. never heard anymore about it. I do think it would be a great experience if you can

In my state, California, it is pretty random using driver's license and voter registration information. If you haven't been called, nothing personal but it is because your number hasn't been drawn.