Is it legal, in the state of ILLINOIS for a PUBLIC high school to hold transcripts until fees are paid?

My daughter graduated high school last year and I could not afford to pay the $600. in fees for the PUBLIC high school she attended, due to my husband passing away just before her graduation. Now she has a chance to go to the community college and needs her transcripts from the high school and they are telling me that they won't release them until that $600. is paid. We had a small insurance policy which most of went to funural expenses, so what little money I do have left I wanted to use for her to go to the community college. Our property taxes are high here due to the schools already, so I find this a bit rotton, for a PUBLIC school that the state REQUIRES she attend. Is it legal for them to hold her transcripts until those fees have been paid??

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago

Astg

• Mutt
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Having you tried going through the proper channels to see about having those fees waived on account of financial hardship? Most schools will if you can show that you financially cannot pay.

And as for property tax: The price it costs to operate the schools goes up a lot more than the property taxes do.

• 8 years ago

Sadly yes. Think of it this way, you are taking away from the next student. I dont know what the fees are for, maybe a missing book. Well that missing book is takin away from the next child because the school doesn't have the money to pay for another one til you pay for the one lost. Public schools need money to pay for things some way or the other. Im sorry to hear about your husband. I work as an after school mentor for a low funded school here in California and we really need materials and such just to help the next set of students happy and learning. Maybe set up a payment plan with the school maybe?

Source(s): Experience
  • Teekno
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Completely legal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I've heard of this before, so probably. Look in the IL Code to be sure.

• yes it's legal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.