If Jesus were God, why did he say that God gave him all power, And God was Greater than him?

My God why has thy forsaken me.

Favorite Answer

When will people get their facts straight about whether or not Jesus is God? Many members of Christendom’s churches would answer yes because they are not being taught the truth and/or can''t be bothered to see what is clearly in their own Bibles. Open your own Bible to John 20:17 and read Jesus’ own words near the end of that verse: “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.” If that surprises you, you may be amazed at some of the other things the Bible says about Jesus and God.

Think, for a moment, about the angel who announced Jesus’ birth to Mary. He did not say her child would be God, but that he would be “God’s Son.” (Luke 1:35) And rather than saying, as do some, that “God Himself” came to earth to provide the ransom, the Scriptures say “God sent forth his Son” to do this.—Galatians 4:4, 5; 1 John 4:9, 10.

Jesus asked his disciples who they believed he was. Did Simon Peter reply: “You are God”? No. Peter said: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Did Jesus correct Peter? No, Jesus said: “Happy you are, Simon son of Jonah, because flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but my Father who is in the heavens did.”—Matthew 16:15-17.

Jesus repeatedly showed not equality but submission to the Father. He said he was sent by his Father, instructed by his Father, commanded what to say by his Father. (John 3:17; 5:36; 6:38; 12:49, 50) Jesus said that he “finished the work” his Father gave him to do, and that his followers “have come to know that you [the Father] sent me forth.”—John 17:4, 6, 18, 25.

Jesus said: “I tell you most solemnly, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees the Father doing: and whatever the Father does the Son does too.”—John 5:18, 19, The Jerusalem Bible. Despite his highly exalted position, Jesus told his apostles: “The Father is greater than I am.” (John 14:28) After Jesus ascended to heaven, his followers continued to teach that the Father is greater than the Son. More than 20 years later, Paul wrote about “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 15:6) Look carefully at those words. Paul is speaking of Jesus’ God. Consistently Paul makes this distinction not only between the Father and Jesus but between God and Jesus. He writes of God and Christ. Paul’s standard greeting in his letters was: “May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:3; 2 Corinthians 1:2; Galatians 1:3; Ephesians 1:2; Philippians 1:2) Paul also wrote, not that Christ is God, but that he “is the image of God,” thus perfectly representing him. (2 Corinthians 4:4) However, the translator of The Living Bible, believing that God is a Trinity, changed this passage to read, “Christ, who is God.” But since that is not what it really says, this footnote was added: “Literally, ‘who is the image of God.’”

The Bible book of Revelation also distinguishes not only between Jesus and the Father but between Jesus and God. It opens, “A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him.” (Revelation 1:1) More than 60 years after Jesus’ ascension, Revelation quotes the exalted heavenly Jesus as saying: “The one that conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God . . . I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from my God, and that new name of mine.”—Revelation 3:12.

This distinction between God and the Lamb Jesus Christ is made right down to the Bible’s last chapter, where the great heavenly throne of the magnificent New Jerusalem is not described as the throne of an imaginary Trinity, but as “the throne of God and of the Lamb.” (Revelation 22:1, 3) These statements are not difficult to understand, unless you have been taught to try to make them say something they do not say.

Because He was in human form.

• Pancho

Jesus was NOT God. How many people on Y/A are going to ask this question?? Jesus never claimed to be God. Never ...

• BJ

Jesus plainly stated that he was more than a good man. He said: “I am God’s Son.” (John 10:36) Of course, anyone could claim to be the Son of God. But if Jesus’ claim were false, what would that make him? Really, not a good man, but a great fraud!

The most reliable testimony came from God himself. He twice said concerning Jesus: “This is my Son.” (Matthew 3:17; 17:5) Just think: The Scriptures report only a few occasions when God’s own voice was heard on earth yet on two of them he affirmed Jesus as his Son! This is by far the best proof that Jesus was who he said he was.

Jesus never claimed to be God, but he repeatedly spoke of himself as “God’s Son.” Even his enemies acknowledged this. (John 10:36; 19:7)

Jesus was ever conscious of exalting the Father and subordinating himself to Him, as he confessed: “The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing.

For whatever things that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner. I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

Again, he said: “I am a representative from him, and that One sent me forth.” He also said: “From God I came forth and am here.”

Jesus never even suggested that he was God or was equal to him. So to teach such a thing dishonors Jesus.

Certainly, the removal of God’s name from the Bible made Christendom’s adoption of the Trinity doctrine much easier. If Christendom were to restore the name in the complete Bible which the (New King James Bible) has did, (6972) times, check it out at (http://dnkjb.net/about.htmand), it would cause difficulties.

Jehovah, as he is revealed in the Hebrew and Christian Greek Scriptures, is clearly separate from Jesus Christ and is no part of a Trinity.

“When the writers of the New Testament speak of God they mean the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. When they speak of Jesus Christ, they do not speak of him, nor do they think of him as God. He is God’s Christ, God’s Son, God’s Wisdom, God’s Word.

• spider

Because any reasoning person can see that God is Jesus father. There are so many scriptures to support that God and Jesus are 2 different spirit persons. The devil has distorted the scriptures so that the truth about Jehovah God will not shine through,that is his whole objection. He don't care who you serve as long as it is not Jehovah .

• jeni

Matt.28:18-20, Jesus was given all power by the giver, his God and Father,

John 20:17.

Matt.6:6-13, and now that he is resurrected to send the comforter, John 14:

13,14,22, so ask the God and Father, all in Jesus name, as he is greater

than Jesus.

Source(s): Bible.

it is somewhat of a paradox. but he said he was God because him and his Father are one. or you can look at him as a dual person. Both Father and Son were yoked together and were/are inseperable, not seperate from each other. when you looked at jesus, he was both father and Son manifested in the self-same person. you didn't see 2 seperate persons. you only saw one. hence the scripture says jesus was the fullness of the Godhead bodily. father, son, and holy ghost is not 3 seperate persons. they are yoked together as one

• MOMMAH

JESUS QUOTED SCRIPTURE...Or, DID you NOT KNOW that?