Is the "church" a proper noun?

When talking about the "church of Christ" like, all believers collectively, should it be capitalized? It's a dumb question haha....but thank you :)

I'm writing a paper, and on the writing prompt my teacher didn't capitalize the church. Was that a typo?

Favorite Answer

The church on the corner isn't a proper noun, because there are millions of them.

The Chuch of Christ is a proper noun, because there is only one of them.

Bad education, right English shouldn't be spoken at residence, little time is spent reading but with video games and/or tv, the predominance of "ghetto communicate" in track and enjoyment and laziness stand out, IMHO. Laziness, nonetheless, is the poorest excuse. Being lazy when it makes a character look silly is self-defeating on a forum like Y/A. I realized LDa answered this question. His questions are insightful and suggestion-frightening, his answers clear and concise, his typos do not minimize their pleasant. I am hoping i am 1/2 as sensible as he is when I'm 80. There are some dyslexics who have hindrance arranging words safely but that is now not long-established and it's with no trouble discernable. The quandary goes beyond capitalization and punctuation. Are spelling, grammar, coherence of proposal not taught any further in colleges? Possibly journalism courses must be necessary.

• Alan D

This is a hard call, Don't criticize your teacher some are ego maniacs and would fail you. If I were to refer to Christian Church I would capitalize it however many individual churches call themselves the Church of Christ. So as a whole body I would say the

Christian Churches. I am far from an English major so don't take this as gospel. Pun intended.

Source(s): http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proper%2... Church is referred to as a noun and proper noun.depending on use.

The name of the church is the whole phrase so it is capitalized. When refering to all of Christianity (or when referring to the Catholic Church) Church is capitalized.

It is OK to write a church of Christ. The Church of Christ should be capitalized as it is referring to a specific denomination or refering to all of Christianity.

• Ray

If you are referring to the total body of Christians, then it is a proper noun and should be capitalized. We Catholics do that all the time, calling the RCC, "The Church". If you just say, "I'm going to church," then it is not capitalized.

Yes. May be u SHUD capitalize it.

• Dave D

If you are referring to the name of a particular faith like the "Church of Christ" then it should be capitalized. If you are just talking about going to church on Sunday then it would not be capitalized.

Wikipedia says "Church of Christ." I would guess here it is a title, but if you say the churches of Christ....

The Church, would be referring to the Catholic Church I believe.

It's most improper.