How far can you shoot with a smooth bore barrel?

I have a rifled but i am just wondering

• Keoni
    Favorite Answer

I have a smooth bore Remington 870 that I shoot slugs out of.

I can easily hit a 10" gong at 100 yards.

I have never taken a shot farther than that.

Source(s): NRA Life Member Since 1986 Avid Shooter & Hunter

160 yards with a 20 gauge rifled slug. target was a 4x8 sheet of foam.

35 yards with an airsoft gun (human torso)

80 yards with daisy buck 105 BB gun (section of tree with noisy *** birds in)

65 yards with 12 gauge shotgun, full choke

200 yards with reproduction Brown Bess musket (3x5 sheet of wallboard)

• chris

If you are talking shot guns than not more than 75 yards effectively.

Using modern rounds, its very possible to fatally hit 1particular thing out to 100 yards reliably.

@ wolf actually rifling does help you shoot a bullet farther as it stablizes the bullet which causes less air resistance which causes less drop.

That would depend on the weight of the bullet and the amount of gun power you use, but without rifling a bullet doesn't travel as true as with rifling. The rifling has no bearing on how far the firearm will shoot, it is there to make the firearm shoot more accurate.

The gun will shoot as far as it can, depending how much powder you have in it... Also, which I'm assuming, you want to know how accurate it is. Well if its a pistol your lucky to hit something at 10-15 yards. And in sometimes even closer! Rifles about 50 yards. That has to do a lot with te skill of the shooter, better he is the farther he can "accurate" shoot. Truth is; on a smooth bore barrel (also assuming) round ball there's just no 100% of say how accurate it can be shot, there so many factors when it's comes to smooth bore barrels, like heat, wind, humidity, trigger pull, the shooter, powder, and the projectile itself. And there more as well.

Source(s): Me
  • WC

Quite a distance, but with NO accuracy.