What security protocols will ensure a smooth transition between the Queen and Prince Charles?

Does Parliament go on lockdown? Is a curfew imposed and is habeas corpus temporarily suspeded so that there is no coup detat or trouble in the streets?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, there are no lockdowns or special legal measures that I've ever heard of. This isn't a change of actual leadership, of government. And by the time Charles becomes King, he will probably have been handling many of the Queen's duties anyway. The transition will be an easy one.

Of course, the riot police may even now be engaging in secret rehearsals in case they have to fight off hordes of shrieking Diana worshippers who have taken to the streets to protest the failure to name Diana Queen Consort posthumously. (Something I discovered not long ago some of them actually think can be done.) St. Squidgy's diehard fans could be a real danger to the royals' lives and limbs.

• 8 years ago

Phil will be restrained by the Special Services.

• 8 years ago

Could cause anxiety to the Corgis

Source(s): BOOFUS
  • 8 years ago

Since the United Kingdom is a constitutional monarch, and the queen or king reigns rather than rules, no security protocols are necessary.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The same protocols as have always ensured smooth transitions from parent to child within any monarchy.

• 8 years ago

Previously on the death of a monarch, Parliament was automatically disolved and all civil servants (as employees of the Crown) lost their job.

The Succession to the Crown Act 1707 and the Demise of the Crown Act 1901 changed this, so Parliament no longer is disolved, but it must meet and swear a new oath of allegiance, and make an address to the Crown. In addition, civil servants employment continues.

In the case of Charles though, there could be moves to prevent his accession, and instal Princess Beatrice on the throne.

• 8 years ago

The UK is civilised. The moment Queen Elizabeth dies (and not for a long time I hope) then Prince Charles becomes king. Accession and coronation are formalities and celebrations but there is no possibility of civil disorder. No doubt every major institution has "if and when" files - the Queens death is a "when" - the plans are already laid. Parliament will be suspended pending dissolution by the new King. The technical form is that parliament will be dissolved and a new government formed - one would bet that every single office holder will be offered exactly the same office again.

• 8 years ago

I'd wager that you hail from one of those Communist backwater countries where coups d'etat and assassination are considered as legitimate alternatives to democracy.

Habeas Corpus has never been suspended in this country since it's implementation in 1679.

• 8 years ago

I believe you greatly overestimate the significance for a "change in power" in a (very) constitutional Monarchy such as the one UK has... It will certainly give the tabloids, the gossipers and the trolls something to chew on.. but it eventual over and it will be business as usual.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.