What are the requirements for university in America?

I'm doing my IGCSE's and moving to America, California next year. I have yet to finish them though. Also English is my second language.

I don't know if I should convert them to GPA and if so, how? Do I do the SAT's?

What exactly?

What are the minimal requirements to get into university?

Will I have to do year of high school in America?

It's a lot to ask but I would really appreciate it. :)

thank you in advance!

4 Answers

  • drip
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You may have to do 2 years in an US high school.

    as an international student you would need your A levels and take the SAT to apply.

    So if you are moving with your parents to the US, and are age 16, you must finish two years of HS before going on to college. You can not move the US by yourself at this age.

    college/university= same thing here. both provide a four year Bachelor degree. US students will refer to both as college. ie I am going to college this fall at Ohio State University

    US students graduate HS at age 18. They take the SAT second semester junior year (3 rd year of HS/ 11th grade) They start applying to colleges first semester senior year

  • fantz
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    the front assessments? we do not have those the following. Universities remember on severe college or move college grades and ACTs, SATs PSATs in accordance with what the colleges require. The SATs are a touch sturdy element to finish because maximum universities seem at them.

  • 8 years ago

    The requirements are not the same at all universities. You probably will need either the SAT or the ACT (another standardized test). You'll probably also need the TOEFL to prove that your English is good enough for you to succeed in an American school. You may or may not need to earn an American high school diploma; another route in is to see whether a community college -- a school that offers the kinds of classes that universities teach first- and second-year undergraduates -- will take you and then transfer from there to a university after you have a track record.

    If I were you, I'd look at the admissions pages at a few universities that you are interested in. For example, if you want to stay in California you should probably pick a school in the University of California system and another in the California State University system, or you might be interested in a private school or in a public school farther from your new home in California. Go to the university website and click on "Admissions." Then look around for information for foreign students who wish to apply.

    If you cannot find the information or if you aren't sure you understand the exact requirements, you can contact the admissions office (there will almost certainly be both a phone number and one or more email addresses you can use listed on the website), explain to them what you have already achieved, and ask them what additional things you need to do in order to be considered for admission.

    Good luck with the move.

  • 8 years ago

    Being American

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.