Alia asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 8 years ago

Would Prozac or Latuda effect future pregnancy?

I had just been treated with psychotic depression and was prescribed Latuda and Prozac, I got married this last July and was planning to try getting pregnant starting this coming July (8 months from now). I'm sure you know how bad psychotic depression is, but I would rather suffer from that than having something wrong with my baby. Is there any chance-if even very slim- that those medications would hurt my future pregnancy?

Favorite Answer

ASK.....YOUR.....***DOCTOR***!!!!

ta-dah

"Is there any chance-if even very slim- that those medications would hurt my future pregnancy?"

YES, there is. Although, maybe not.

"Hyperprolactinemia: As with other drugs that antagonize dopamine D2 receptors, LATUDA elevates prolactin levels. Galactorrhea, amenorrhea, gynecomastia, and impotence have been reported in patients receiving prolactin-elevating compounds. In short-term, placebo-controlled studies, the median change from baseline to endpoint in prolactin levels for LATUDA-treated females was -0.2 ng/mL and was 0.5 ng/mL for males. The proportion of female patients with prolactin elevations ≥5x ULN was 5.7% for LATUDA-treated patients versus 2.0% for placebo-treated female patients. The proportion of male patients with prolactin elevations > 5x ULN was 1.6% versus 0.6% for placebo-treated male patients."

Latuda elevates Prolactin levels, which is the hormone that makes the body THINK it is pregnant. If you're body thinks it is pregnant, then, it is not prepared to GET pregnant. Most psychiatrists are either unaware of this, or won't tell you about it. You may have a difficult time getting pregnant....you'd need to see your OB/gyn about maybe taking hormones to counteract the effect.

The above quote is from the Latuda website. It is a pregnancy category B, meaning it is not safe, but it is PROBABLY not going to hurt an unborn child.

Good Luck