What kind of pool stick should I buy?

I am looking to get a good friend a pool stick for Christmas and I have been looking at some online. I want to spend around $40 and just want to know what kind of material I should get for that price. I just want to try to get the best deal for that price but I do not know much about them.

Favorite Answer

$40 is at the very low of end of a decent entry level cue.

You can check this site for some options as they have a number of "liquidation" cues that are good buys

Check out the Sterling brand, as all will use N American maple for the shafts.

http://www.cuesight.com/pool-cues.html

I haven't owned a pool-cue that used to be not up to $four hundred for about 25 years, however I found a Palmer on Ebay final month. I purchased it for my brother. I obtained the bid for $60. The cue has a a refund warranty and a high rating on Ebay. After I gave it to my brother he let me hit some balls. This cue hit so good I used to be absolutely shocked. This cue hits as good as my $1200 Schon. I've played with almost each customized cue made, and i'd highly suggest a Palmer to any individual who cannot afford an pricey cue. By the way, my brother used to be supplied $500 for his cue, but he did not promote it. Your father will be very joyful with a Palmer, however do not inform him how so much you paid for it. Let him bet. By the way, i'm on an eight event win streak after borrowing my brother's cue. Good success!

$40 is basically a K-mart crappy stick

most people get a "McDermott" stick....but they don't come cheap (expect $200)

(www.ozone billiards .com)

I hate to sound negative, but first of all I think getting a cue for somebody else is a nice gesture but a bad idea. I say this because unless you know a lot about cues and you know exactly what your friend likes in a cue, you're pretty much guessing. Second, a $40 budget is not going to give you very much selection at all. To get anything decent, you need to be closer to the $100 range. Was your friend planning on gettting his own cue anyway? If so, maybe you could get him a gift certificate at your local billiards supply store towards the purchase of a cue. You could go in together and test them out before you buy anything. You always want to test the equipment before you buy.

varies,

how long is your friends arm? (i.e.) what height is he?

Anywhere between 5'6"-5'11" a stick 6.5-6.5(ft) in length would do. but for someone who's above or below average height; you'd need a shorter//longer stick. form 4'11"-5'6" try a stick 5.9-6(ft) in length. for 5'11".05-6'10" try a stick 7-8(ft) in length.

what kind of player is your friend?

professional, casual, beginer? if he's been at it for longer than a year & plays for $. get him a spiral-diamond or long-horn. these have a great accuracy to them + it's stiffness guarantees ideal playing conditions.

does he like design? getting 1 already designed could up the price 20%. try getting a plain coated stick. have an art-designer paint symbols on it AFTER you buy the original stick. designs range from 15-30$. but are worth it to some.

Source(s): dicks, bed bath & beyond, any novelty sho should sel them. usually your local pool-hall wil too.