Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 8 years ago

Why hasn't toyota done anything about the 2000 - 2003 Toyota Celica oil burning problem?

I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT and I love my car besides that I have to keep a huge gallon of oil in my car just in case I run out of oil. I got my oil topped off at Walmart and within 3 weeks my car began to make a ticking sound and was almost out of oil. I am young and it is hard to keep up with this oil problem and I can't afford another car. Why hasn't toyota done anything about this problem if it is so common!

Favorite Answer

Google "1ZZ Oval Bore" and click the first youtube link. This is what your engine is doing.

Undersize pistons and oversize rings means it wears out prematurely, letting oil into the combustion chamber to be burnt. Watch as the pistons rock back and forth in the video. This is because the rings wore out early, so the pistons wore on one side of the cylinder bore. Unfixable engine is the result. This is called the "Disposable Car Profit Machine", a trick Chrysler engineered in the 1980s during the minivan craze.

Toyota hasn't been sued for it yet, and big car manufacturers won't fix something unless it is cheaper than a lawsuit. Read up on the Ford Pinto to see the corporate carmaker mind at work. When you are the Plaintiff in a lawsuit, the burden of proof is on you, not the Defendant, Google "Plausible Deniability" to see why such lawsuits are rarely, if ever, won.

The number one lesson I've learned since I got my first car is that the only person I can rely on to fix something correctly is myself. This is a lesson earned from picking up the wrench myself and being a self-reliant owner whose education is from first-hand experience and the well-reasoned wisdom of the Mazda RX-7 Club (www.rx7club.com) that I am now a forum moderator on.

If you're willing to read, listen to conventional mechanical & electrical engineering wisdom, turn your own wrenches and not be swayed by all the magic concoctions at Autozone that promise to make used cat litter into 100+mpg, a 1986-1988 Mazda RX-7 non-turbo is the way to go. The aftermarket support to this day is fantastic, the car is well understood and the combined knowledge of the RX7club moderation staff is second to none.

If it sounds good, start by reading this: http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generation-specific-198...

Now read it again and bookmark it. For more information on old-fashioned reasoning from one of the most well-known and respected members of the Rotary Engine Community, visit http://www.aaroncake.net/

-AWC

Source(s): 20B RX7 owner and RX7club Moderator (Akagis_White_Comet), seasoned in electrical and mechanical engineering

Try with a new car engine its a lot cheaper then a new car.

Source(s): My Husband

Use Fully Synthetic High Mileage Engine Oil at the right grade for your car. It can withstand higher temperatures and can help reduce engine wear. That should help with your problem. The standard grade won't do. Although synthetic costs a little more than standard oil, in the long run it will save you money.

Source(s): Had the same problem with a 2002 Vauxhall Astra

We have 2003 matrix with the same problem ans they changed the pistons in later years. .although we dont burn that much oil...it has 80,0000 miles and it burns more oil then our 2000 tacoma with 200000 miles. Look at using Lucas oil stabalizer it is great stuff it will reduce wear and oil burn

Cars that burn THAT much oil are usually simply worn out.It might be time for a new engine on a '01 car.....can't afford another car? That's not Toyota's problem.....

P.S. NEVER let the oil level get so low that the engine starts making noise. You're making the problem WORSE.